Jazz Recommendations

I am just starting to get into Jazz. I recently bought Thelonious Monk Quartet "Live at Monterey" and was blown away. Could you recommend other mainstream Jazz recordings that I should have in a basic collection to help me get started.
kadlec
My vote goes for Patricia Barber, Tord Gustavsen trio, Brad Mehldau. They all play piano and they really make me float and forget that life can be bitch sometimes :-)
I second the Manu Katche - neighborhood cd and recommend the Eldar - live at the blue note and George Duke - in a mellow tone cds.
Kadlec,sorry if these have already been mentioned,I have not read all the responses.Some of the best imho are Oscar Peterson such as 'Jazz Soul of Oscar Peterson',West Side Story',Night Train',A Jazz Portrait of Frank Sinatra',and then there is Junior Mance,'Blue Mance',Junior's Blues','Happy Time',and various others.And then there is 'Count Basie and Friends','Basie and Zoot',just to name a few.IMHO some of the most awsome music ever.
Just received 7 new cd.s from cduniverse last night.2 superb standouts,The George Cables Trio'Letter To Dexter' and Gene Harris Quartet'Black and Blue'. both are superb,music and recording quality.These are my first experience with these 2 groups,and I will be searching out more of their 'stuff'.