Holo Audio May DAC

Just read a very nice review of this in Stereophile this month and after doing some research it looks like this one could be a very nice option for me.  
https://kitsunehifi.com/product/holo-audio-may-dac/

It's made in China I think (or could be Taiwan?, and yes, I am very well aware that these are two very different countries. ;)), and employs a direct to consumer model to keep the price as low as possible.  This does not worry me after purchasing a Jay's Audio transport from Vinshine Audio and having zero issues.  

Just curious if anyone here has heard one or purchased?  I'm very intrigued.  I know the Denafrips Terminator is another highly regarded DAC with a similar ordering model, but costs a couple grand more than this one.  Considering that one as well.

Thanks
128x128snackeyp
I decided to try a reference-level R2R DAC instead of my Qutest, which is the only DAC I’ve ever owned. I also didn’t want to spend more than I needed to. I chose the May based on the stereophile and stereotimes reviews. Both experienced reviewers were blown away. Terminator was similarly esteemed, though. Between the Terminator and the May, I like the design of the May better. One of the distinctions between the Terminator and May seemed to be the anti-jitter tech in the May. That was part of my decision as well. I can’t imagine you could go wrong with either. Unless you have bad OCD, I can’t imagine either choice would lead to serious regrets.

@redwoodaudio - how did the halo compare to the chord in your system? Can you describe the difference as that exact model (qutest) is also on my list.
@duckworp
Also the Holo is sold through a retailer in Europe (Magna) and US (Kitsune)  whereas the Denafrips comes direct from Singapore which implies better value as no retailer margins to eat in to the price.
Have you tried 8th Dimension to see if they have the May available?

http://www.8thdimensionaudio.com/product/holo-audio-spring-2-dac/
Day three impressions:
Last night I tried something interesting.  I had just received a copy of the newly issued Bob Dylan Love and Theft, MoFi 2LP 45 RPM release.  I played it through on my analog system, and while I listened I contemplated the age-old argument of analog vs. digital.  I decided then that I would play the digital version of this album for comparison.  This MoFi release is done perfectly, BTW.  Awesome sounding reissue, and limited to only 3,000 copies.  

My analog system is as follows:
SME 20/2 turntable w/Tri-Planar tonearm and Lyra Kleos cartridge.
Phono preamp is a Parasound JC-3+.
Niagara 7000 Power Conditioner (Amplifier run straight into the wall)

As I began listening to the digital version (Tidal 44.1k) I was shocked at how I really couldn't hear any significant difference from the LP.  This had never been the case with any other DAC I owned in the past.  I could enjoy the analog and I could enjoy the digital but I never considered the digital to be as good as the analog, UNLESS it came down to comparing an inferior analog source to superior digital source.  With the Mytek DACs I owned (Manhattan II and Brooklyn+) I could always hear a clear difference between digital and analog.  It wasn't even close.  Now with the May DAC3 I finally understand what the fuss is about when using a very high quality DAC.  I'm not arguing one format over the other.  I have no intention of selling off my analog gear and going full digital, at least not after only one comparison, but my mind was really blown how great the May DAC performed in this test.  

After that I listened to several other Tidal streams and completely lost myself in the music.  Stevie Wonder Talking Book, Elvis Costello All This Useless Beauty, Flaming Lips American Head, etc.  Everything sounded so right through the May.  The whole point of this hobby for me is to find the best version of the music possible, and this DAC has greatly increased my joy of music.  

One last thing I noticed yesterday was just how QUIET this DAC is.  Until you've heard a really quiet component it's really hard to explain it, but it makes a huge difference when a component like this lowers the noise floor so significantly.  

Up and onward...

@snackeyp

excellent feedback, glad u are enjoying

tell us what is rest of your system? preamp amp speakers wire

and u are changing from base case of mytek digital front end yes?

help us calibrate a little

btw don't let millerc see your post it will shatter his world hehehe
My system is as follows:

LFD NCSE integrated amplifier
Harbeth 40.2 Anniversary speakers, Tontraeger stands
LFD Hybrid Speaker wire
LFD Spiroflex interconnects
LFD Power Cables
Niagara 7000 Power Conditioner (Amp plugged directly into wall outlet)

Digital:
Innuous Zenith Mk3 server
Innuous Phoenix reclocker
Holo Audio May DAC Level 3
Jay's Audio CDT-2 Transport

Analog:
SME 20/2 w/Tri-Planar tonearm, Lyra Kleos Cart
Parasound JC-3+ phono preamp

My room is a basement man cave, 12' x 14'.  No room treatments other than carpet floors and suspended ceiling tiles, some tapestries on the walls to prevent reflections.  Nothing fancy, but I've dialed it in to my liking.  My ears are 8 feet from the speakers with my ears height between the tweeter and midrange driver heights.  Speakers are toed in about one foot outside of each of my ears.  Stereo image is very focused, and soundstage is large and appropriate to my tastes.  

Harbeths are famous for their midrange sound and very accurate and neutral, which makes it easy to hear the nuances with different components, recordings, etc., but not at the expense of musicality, if that makes sense.