Jazz Recommendations

I am just starting to get into Jazz. I recently bought Thelonious Monk Quartet "Live at Monterey" and was blown away. Could you recommend other mainstream Jazz recordings that I should have in a basic collection to help me get started.
kadlec
for an online jazz source try kkjz.org. it is kkjz 88.1 in LA. jazz all the time, blues on sat and sun from 2-7pm, jazz on the latin side on friday 6-10p. the greatest hosts on the air, chuck niles, sam fields and more.

this is the cal state long geach radio station which survives mostly on member contributions. they now have a playlist to check what played and when just in case you didnt hear the announcer identify the tkune he just played.

another resource is All Music Guide at
http://www.allmusic.com

this is exceedingly valuable and its free. it is available in print but the true value is on line.

...regards...tr
how bout another young lion not yet mentioned

saxiphonist Chris Potter

his album Gratitude (and his others) are all excellent jazz renderings

tom
Jazz has a home in Canada at CKUA in Alberta and on the Web at CKUA.com. Mountain Standard Time MST Saturday afternoons, most days 3-6, and various shows like Voices in Jazz.

CKUA plays all music styles all day, not focusing on types of music but what the personality has decided. This is a member organized station and is supported financially by the listener. If you enjoy non corporate, no commercial radio that doesn't push you to buy the latest stuff while it supports artists this is a great listen for you.

Bill Khool is a noted CKUA radio personality who supports jazz and is recognized in the past year by his peers in the industry Canada wide.

Listen and learn!
A previous poster mentioned Mark C.Gridley's jazz text;it has his top jazz recordings list and is a good overview of the subject.
Here are a few to get you started:
Early jazz--Louis Armstrong, hot 5/hot 7 recordings
Swing--Ellington,Live at Newport
Bop--Charles Parker,Ornithology
Hard Bop--John Coltrane,Giant Steps
Cool--Miles Davis,Kind of Blue
Modern--Bill Evans,Sunday Live at the Villiage Vanguard