Rel vs the world

So whenever you look for subwoofer recommendations for 2 channel hifi, one name keeps dominating the conversation.. rel. And the flagship no 25 is seen as the ultimate subwoofer by many. My question is, has anyone compared well made but more affordable subwoofers (JTR, PSA, Rhythmik) to rel subwoofers (especially no 25) and go equally good or better results with the more affordable subwoofers?
Also thoughts on effects of cone material on sound in subwoofers? I am very interested in the choice of using carbon fiber cones on speakers like Alon in Magicos and Michael Borresen in his speakers. When I saw this in the rel no 25 I wondered if that was one of the reasons people were impressed with its performance. I found this article that Tom from PSA sent me pretty interesting.
"Myth: Cone Material Affects the "Timbre" of Subwoofers

At low frequencies, in the bass region below 125Hz, the cone material has no effect on the sound. If it did it would only be because of peripheral side effects such as a large change in the moving mass of the driver, or a cone who's strength and stiffness is deficient for the application allowing a lot of flex and distortion. A subwoofers cone or diaphragm should be stiff enough to not flex appreciably even when under heavy air loads. Any sufficiently stiff subwoofer cone would have resonances or breakup modes which are well beyond the bass range and should be inaudible with a typical low pass filter applied. If we have 3 identical sub drivers with different cone materials, one with an aluminum cone, one with a carbon fiber cone and another with a pressed paper cone and all are adequately stiff and the total moving mass of the driver is within a few percent of each other they will be indistinguishable from each other in a blind listening test.

The main take away here is that subwoofer cone material choice is primarily a consideration of strength/stiffness/durability/cosmetics/cost and weight. Sound is not one of those considerations.
"https://data-bass.com/#/articles/5cbf5e7357f7140004d6d0ec?_k=o4xuea

smodtactical
After I discovered Rythmik and got two of these (with Danny’s drivers), my RELs got sold quickly...The REL hype train crashed hard!

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12G.html

I also have 2 of Danny’s DIY open baffle dipoles to help my maggies in a 2nd room.

Danny Richie is a gift to mankind!
And America makes the best subs...It sure isn’t England! (Patriotic Brits are gonna hate me today lol).

@decatholon1991 What did you think about the Fathom 113s vs Rel no 25?
@deep_333: Which rels did you have before your Rythmiks?
I am using a pair of JL  Audio  E-112 subs in my two channel rig, so far they are sounding  very good, but still working on getting them integrated  to my mains. Several years ago I was using a pair of Rythmik, F-12G  which I found to be excellent, but sold before using them with my current speakers. 
deep_333 have you had the opportunity to compare the Rythmik to SVS?  I just came off a 3 month dac shootout and am focusing on bass now.  I value tuneful and tight bass but occasionally like to let loose and rattle the bones.  The specs on the the two are so similar I wonder if it's worth the time and shipping, etc.  Anyone else compare these?  
I've owned the Martin Logan Depth i, HSU, dual SVS SB Ultra 15s & 16s, dual JL Audio F110 v2s with their CR1 external crossover, JL Audio F112 v2, dual REL Carbon Limited, and now I have dual REL G1 MKII subwoofers. In my system I prefer RELs for 2-channel. RELs simply disappear in my system and you really don't know they're on, until you turn them off. In my opinion JL Audio hit harder, but I could never get either the F110s or F112 to disappear. If I required a subwoofer for HT only, I would choose SVS. If 50/50 music and HT I would choose JL Audio. For music and occasionally HT, RELs are my preferred subwoofers.