Best DAC under $2K

I am transfering my cd colection to an external 500 GB hard drive using the I-tunes program (WAV files). Need an DAC to connect to my main system (Linn Ikemi, Kudos, Kairn-Pro, Klouts & Keltiks). Since my computer has a digital coaxial output I am not limited to an USB DAC, but will consider using an USB one. I am looking at the Bel Canto DAC2. Any other DAC in this price range? Any help will be very much appreciated.
hepl
Gmood,

Glad to see there's someone else that shares my postitve experience w/ Peter's NOS DAC. I just read some of your prior posts regarding the DAC and your decription is spot on. Soundstage definition, clarity, grainless highs, tight & controlled bass, accurate instrument timbre. Very organic and natural.

I've been swapping between a Kinber D-60 cable and a Bitstream cable (DIYCable) for my digital link. I've also replaced the 2k7 Riken resistors for Caddock TF020's along with swapping the 100uF BG cap on the DAC w/ a 47u BG N cap (it brought the soundstage more into the foreground as it sounded a touch recessed on my system). I'm about to swap out the four 1000/25V BG caps for 1000/50V BG caps. I've also been considering the V-Cap upgrade in the coupling position - but I'm on financial hold for now. One step @ a time ;^)

I don't want to come off as "soapboxing" for Peter & Audio Sector, but I like to give credit where credit is due. Peter is a wonderful guy to deal with and is always available for product support. One of the good guys of audio for sure.

Cheers,
Hat
Hi Hat,
I may consider the 1000/50v mod in the near future myself.I think their $50 a pop if I'm not mistaken. Those V-Caps would be killer but the price is a little steep on those around $500?.. I believe.So I understand you taking one step at a time.:-)

My soundstage is just the opposite ..more upfront. Basically on stage..LOL.
I whole heartily agree with you about Peter. He's more concerned with getting the best sound than filling his wallet..that for sure!

Good listening!
A brand new Audio Note DAC 1x Signature Mk II is 1995; non signature model is 1495

I have the siggie with a pair of siemens ecc803s tubes; sounds great

cal audio alpha at 450 to 550 is also a great DAC with rca, toslink, and xlr digital inputs...uses a pair of 12ax7 tubes
I've had the Northstar 192 for a number of months. I bought it based only on my reading--I did not listen to any other DACs--so I can't give you an informed opinion. I just decided to live with it for an extended period and see what I thought.

I do like it. As sources, I've used: iTunes/Airport Express (optical connection), Linn Karik, Quad 99 CDP (optical connection), Tascam CD-RW 700 (CD recorder). It beats all of them (not that this was a exactly a revelation in some cases). I like the old Karik (no Numerik) better as a player in my system than the newer Quad, and using the Northstar provided better resolution and deeper bass than the Karik. What surprised me as much as anything was that it didn't matter which machine I used as a transport. The Karik feels much more substantial in use than the others, and I always assumed it would be a superior transport, but I couldn't reliably tell a difference in sound when I used it. FWIW.

Is using your Ikemi an option?