Should I bother to try a subwoofer?

My speakers are listed as going down to 40 HZ (Dynaudio 1.3 MkII monitors).
There is an REL Strata III available locally that I might snag, try out and re-sell if I don't like/need it. My question is this: since I would not be using this for movies, do I even need this? I mostly listen to classical music, more chamber than symphonic, and occasionally listen to rock, jazz and other pop styles.

Am I likely missing something without that lowest octave? I'm thinking that 99% of the time the sub might not even be in use if it kicks in at 40 Hz.

Any comments, purely theoretical or from experience, will be welcome.
128x128tostadosunidos
The REL sub is fine and will give you a taste of what a sub can do when set up properly. It is down firing and smaller, so closer to a corner is OK, but my suggested set-up could yield better results.

Knowing your room size etc... would help greatly.

You could always pic up a second one for more improvement as one becomes available and you decide you love the improvement that ones gives.
My REL Q150E is front firing. It sits in a little corner made by a fake fireplace behind the left speaker (firing forward toward the back of the main speaker) and that is EXACTLY where it belongs in my room (I moved it all over the place and pointed it in various directions until it seemd to lock into its current spot).
Yes the Q series is front firing while the Strata III is a downward firing 10 inch driver.

The smaller Q series is fine in the corner etc... Room placement on any sub is a matter of trial and error. Larger subs can overpower a room in the corner however.

I owned the REL Strata III and found it to be quite good.

To bad it sold, but others do show up....
According to REL their downward firing subwoofers are designed for music and their forward firing subwoofers are designed for home theater.