Jazz Recommendations

I am just starting to get into Jazz. I recently bought Thelonious Monk Quartet "Live at Monterey" and was blown away. Could you recommend other mainstream Jazz recordings that I should have in a basic collection to help me get started.
kadlec
Kadlec, here are a couple everyone should have: Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Time Out" and Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue." These are very much classics (60's) and you don't have to have a "jazz ear" to enjoy them. I have a lot of jazz stuff I tried and tried to make myself like, but just don't "get it," yet. These two discs are now in remastered releases (Columbia/Legacy 65122 & 64935) and get a lot of spin time in my player. Good luck, Charlie.
Kadlec, if you live in an area with a good Jazz station or two..,be they public radio or commercial radio,..this may be the best way for you to learn more about what you like. If you stereo system does not include a good tuner...then this might be your best first purchase... If you want to look up my name in the "member look-up" I would be happy to send you an e-mail with names and albums to consider....good luck.
There are several good books on classic jazz recordings. Check them out at amazon.com or barnes and noble. I like the idea of supporting your local public radio jazz program.
Dave Brubeck's "Time Out" one of the best selling jazz albums in history. It includes Take Five and other jazz standards. You will recognize many of the songs especially Take Five in about five seconds of playing. The current CD release of this 1959 release is HDCD.
Sugarbrie, I'm always on the lookout for (1) good music and (2) the same good music in HDCD. What label is the HDCD release on? Thanks. By the way, I second "Kind of Blue" as another must have.