100W, 200W, or 300W?

I'm pretty new to this and could use some help. Working down my list of upgrades: did speakers, room treatment on order... I think next up is to replace my amp.

I'm currently using a Harman Kardon PA2000 stereo amp that I had sitting in storage. 100 WPC @ 8 Ohm. It's "OK", but it probably the weak point in my system right now.

For speakers, I picked up B&W 805D3 tabletops with stands.

88 dbSPL sensitivity, 8 ohm. They recommend 50-120W @ Ohm for the amp power on their site.

I pulled up an amplifier calculator and plugged in some numbers:

88 sBSPL, 8 ft distance, 85 dB volume w 15 dB headroom and this came out to 3W RMS w 94W peak

I have my heart set on blue watt meters so I see the following options:

1) MA5300 @ 100 WPC, no autoformers, integrated
2) MA7200 @ 200 WPC, has autoformers, integrated
3) MC302 @ 300 WPC, has autorormers, seperates

For the MA5300, I'm concerned that there isn't enough headroom. If I even get close to the 94W peak, it means that I'm pushing the amp to the max, so I'd probably be operating in an area of reduced sonic performance since it's being stressed. Is this a correct assumption?

The MA7200 looks like it'll leave plenty of headroom and it also has (for better or worse) autoformers which seems to be what puts the "mac sound" in macs.

The MC302 is just sexy as heck... but is there any realistic gain with my current set up that I would get by buying one of these? Or is it so much overkill that I am just throwing money away at this point?
eisenb11
Hi OP,

I bought a brand spanking new Mac integrated a long time ago because I had always wanted those blue meters. Turned out it was entirely not the sound I really desired not fit with the speakers I found out I liked.

Better to find a dealer who will let you listen to as many different amps as possible. They might let you home audition older, used gear, which will give some sense of what the latest and greatest from a manufacturer may sound like.

Thanks for listening,

Dsper
To be blunt, but not rude, the listening fatigue factor of B&W speakers, matched with the homogenized sound of Mac amplification, will find you back on a forum again in no time. Many of your audio peers, myself included, have gone down the path you are on regarding these two over-marketed and hyped products. In regards to Mac, I was always able to sell my gear easily and for a fair price. B&W-good luck!
My recommendation for your foray into high(er) end audio: Go listen to a pair of similar sized Focal, Dynaudio, or even Harbeth, and pair it with a Luxman SS integrated. This will keep you satisfied, and sound a hell of a lot better, IMHO.

@laaudionut None taken. I'm pretty happy with things right now, at first I felt that the B&W were fatiguing, but a combination of changing the speaker placement and adding acoustic treatment to my echoey room seems to have taken care of that. Can easily listen to them all day.

But - that *is* the reason I'm starting with Mac. They're easy to sell and the deal I got was good enough that I suspect I would be ahead if the time to jump comes. Would really like to audition a Luxman.

I suggest you listen to the 805 with the latest Krell integrated, K300i sounds amazing