Dedicated line: 10 gauge solid core or 8 gauge stranded

Hi everyone,

I'm having a dedicated line installed for my system. I read recommendations to run a 10 gauge wire, but I thought, why not 8 gauge? It's my understanding that there are no receptacles that would accept the thickness of a 8 gauge wire, so my question is: is it best to run a 8 gauge wire all the way to the receptacle and then bring it down to 10 gauge with a junction box to connect to the receptacle, or, just run a 10 gauge wire from panel to receptacle??
Also, the 10 gauge wire the electrician showed me was solid (just 1 thick wire), while the 8 gauge wire was stranded. Does that make a difference for sound? Which gauge would you go with?? 

Thanks!

Pierre
galpi
@ GALPI, What amplifiers do you have. Do not use (8/gauge wire for audio plugs. Run 10/3 gauge romex orange wire from panel to receptacle. I have two of these lines in my audio rig. As gs5556 said is spot (on.)

10 gauge wire, wow that's a 30 amp breaker 
Thats a lot of mojo never mind the 8 gauge
What electrical outlet could connect that gauge of wire?? I'm no electrician, just wondering 
10 gauge twisted wire is readily available at Home Depot and anywhere that sells electrical supplies.It's normally used for long runs underground.It will barely fit in an electrical outlet.It will be more than enough for your needs.
My son is an electrical contractor. He installed 2 x 10 gauge solid lines with 20 amp breakers for my Home theater. 12 gauge is minimum 20 amps.