If a speaker stand is mass-loading, how much does it matter what they're made of?

Looking for speaker stands. At this point, I'm not sure of the height of my long term listening chair/couch, so I don't want to break the bank on stands.

Looking over different options (Sanus, Monoprice, Pangea, Skylan) raises a question — if a stand is can be filled (shot, sand, etc.), does it make much difference what it's made from (steel, MDF)? What is that difference, in your experience? (Listening, durability, aesthetics, etc.)

With the above in mind, any opinions on modestly priced stands? Perhaps 20" - 22" high?

(Again, I'm not in the market for expensive stands, right now.)
128x128hilde45
@mesch The only issue is that the Pangea stands won't fit my speaker base very well. The 20" Pangea has a 6" x 9" steel top plate and my speaker has a 10" x 14" base. That's a lot hanging off there. The Skylan base could be custom sized.
Yea, I understand that concern. One would probably want to add mass to the base  plate and use bluetack to bond speaker to top plate. I am going to look into the Skylan stands as I am not familiar. 
i think pangea sells a larger top plate to go with some of their models

i have not had personal experience with pangea stands (audio advisor direct to china copy of target stands) but i have heard two cases i know personally where the quality of the stands ordered was felt to be poor, so ymmv