How to insert album cover art on music files?

I have searched the net for answers and I have not found any feasible answer to the question:
"How to insert album cover art on music files?"

I have about 4-6TB of music on external hard drives. Much of this music came from live broadcast sources through the years. I also have much HR music recorded from various on line services recorded via a HR Tascam recorder then transferred to the hard drive.
How can I insert a picture into those music files on my hard drive? Low rez sources such as iTunes, or mp3 conversion is not an option.

ozzy
128x128ozzy
There’s also a free program called Creevity MP3 cover downloader.

Very simple to use and think it works with W7/10 and iOS.

https://www.creevity.com/mp3coverdownloader/
Thanks for the help, I've been adding art to my files this afternoon.
I'm up to the C's.
It's gonna take a while.

ozzy
ozzy,

It is interesting that only beginnings of WAV songs are not displaying covers. Could it be that it simply takes a little time for the machine you are playing it on to digest and figure everything out? It does happen on one of my players, but I am talking about a second or two and even that not every time. Check if it is every time with the same song.

I abandoned automated retrieval of cover art from the Internet. Too many errors (wrong pictures). In fact, it is worth checking even song titles, etc. They are also less than perfect.

Now, when you started your project of tagging, you will be in it longer than you think, I am afraid.

Once all the covers are done, you may notice that The Beatles and the beatles are filed separately and may end up in different folders. That is just a made-up example, but I want to say that arranging the library becomes a year-long chore and you may be tempted to straighten it out. It took me longer. If you have lots of classical, I feel for you.

I second mapman’s thoughts about WAV and FLAC. I converted (actually copied) from AIFF to FLAC. I used AIFF initially because it does take cover art more or less well. Virtually any car these days will play FLAC from SD card or USB drive and it displays covers. Not so much with WAV and not so much with AIFF.

Be careful not to do all of this "cover work" and then convert to FLAC. There is no real guarantee all of them will transfer although dBpoweramp does a decent, if not consistent, job with that.

I would copy all I have to FLAC and only then start adding covers, arranging names and nunbers, etc. Been there, done that, would do it this way this time.
@glupson,

’Once all the covers are done, you may notice that The Beatles and the beatles are filed separately and may end up in different folders. That is just a made-up example, but I want to say that arranging the library becomes a year-long chore and you may be tempted to straighten it out. It took me longer. If you have lots of classical, I feel for you.’

It is a tricky business.

After you’ve made sure the song and artist titling is correct and consistent, (and have done a backup) you still need to watch out for a few things.

You need to decide how many genres you need (male, female, pop, rock, rock n roll, classical, children’s, electronica, folk, soundtrack is about the minimum I can reduce it to).

Then there’s the year of release (or year it became a hit or when you first became aware of it) which can vary from US to UK.

If you happen to use the the otherwise excellent VLC media app (which provides a drag and drop means of getting music onto an iPhone) you might find a few artwork issues in list view. It also seems to ignore your genre divisions and creates its own.

Is it all worth it?

Definitely!

To think you can carry around a vast library of all the music you’ve ever liked to enjoy at your leisure is something that would have left previous generations incredulous.

And some people thought the Sony Walkman cassette was a big deal.

Whatever next in this age of ’miracle and wonder’?
The missing artwork at the beginning of the albums is now there. Must of been a delay thing while upgrading the file.
I only added the artwork, the rest of the album info is not worth the effort to me.

ozzy