Proteus compared to MSL ultra eminent ex

Hi Everyone,

Hoping to find some folks who have experience with both of these cartridges. I already have a Proteus, which I love. I have another, different, excellent cartridge with which I'm having some problems, and I am looking for a low internal impedance (<5 ohm) reasonable output cartridge (> .2-.3 mV) to replace it. As low noise as possible. I am just wondering whether the ultra eminent EX from my sonic labs would sound very similar to the Proteus that I already have. If so, I would probably consider getting something with a slightly different sonic signature. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
arsh
Just in general, Ortofon over Clearaudio.  But that's just me.  The Ortofon cartridges in general give you a better bang for the buck, tend to be more neutral in tonal balance.  The better CA cartridges are expensive and tend (I say "tend") to sound a little top heavy to these ears.  None of this is absolute fact.
FYI, the Air Tight and MSL cartridges are both designed by Matsudeira (if that is the correct spelling), as was the aforementioned Audiocraft AC-03 and even earlier models like the Entré EC-30. Based on my own personal experience with the last two and various reports about the first two, there appears to be a clear family resemblance.

By improving on his design and using new materials, Matsudeira has managed to bring down internal impedance and increase output. So at least in theory the latest Air Tight and MSL design are superior. I don't know to what extend this translates to better sonics, but again I've read reports that the MSL's don't sound very different from the previous Audiocraft AC-03. If that is correct, these are bargains on the 'previously cherished' market. I found an 'as new' sample for around $1000 and at that price you won't be able to do much better.
interesting. I will have to read about the Audiocraft. I don't know anything about it. Appreciate the info!
To be clear, I don’t think you can say that low signal output per se is a goal of a moving coil cartridge designer. It’s more like that is a byproduct of designing the cartridge to have very low moving mass and very low internal resistance, both of which are desirable in a moving coil cartridge. Unfortunately, it is hard to achieve those goals or move toward them without also ending up with a low signal voltage output.