Which is the most important part of a stereo system?

My system consists of a pair of B&W 630's, an old Denon 50 watt reciever (DRA-550) from the mid 80's, a Marantz CD5004 cd player, and now a Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC Turntable.  I'm pleased with the speakers and the cd player and while the Denon sounds good it has some issues and I want to upgrade.

I'm planning on returning the Pro-ject TT and getting a higher end TT.  I'm also looking into getting a new amp pre amp with a internal DAC.

Is the source the most important? The speakers? 

Please Help!
klimt
The room embeddings exceed any electronic design potential S.Q. of speakers or any other electronic components in almost all case....

Acoustic embeddings wins all....

Speakers cannot work rightfully in a bad room, at the maximum potential, without mechanical vibration/resonance controls and in a too noisy electrical grid...

Any acoustic engineer will say the same thing...

« Audio is the active communication between the room of the house and the room of your head. Simple» -Groucho Marx

Electronic design is generic, and the same for any room....

But the interaction between the room of the house where the speakers are amid many other things, and the room of your head, is not generic, it is totally indiduated and absolutely unique.... It is from this communication between the 2 rooms that any S.Q. is or is not what it could be.... The resonance/vibrations controls, and the noise floor of the house and room increase or decrease greatly also the S.Q. But the communication between the room acoustic and your ears are the main factor....

Anyway all these 3 embeddings are totally particular in each case....Electronic design is generic, an electronic component need to be embed to express any particular working of his own.... The factors that will influence the working of any electronic design are EXTERNAL to it: another interacting connected gear, the electrical cables of the house and room and all electric appliances, the vibrations and the many sources of all interactive resonances, all that will transform amy electronic component giving to it an individulized behavior and a variable qualitative workings....( i even forget humidity, temperature and the electrical grid in a particular city)

At the end the evaluation of the S.Q. of any working electronic device will be communicated to you by the room acoustic....

No amplifier speak by himself.... the speakers are translators...

The room only speak by himself to your ears....

«If the room speaks, then my ears too»-Groucho Marx

« You said it Groucho, not me» - Harpo marx

Volya Audio Bouquet speakers.. 

ALL NEW top of the line Audio Note 300B Meishu Tonmeister Integrated Amp.. 

Live Music IN YOUR ROOM...
Getting the system optimized to work with the room - rather than against it - is the major key to unlocking your music.

IMO, & IME, of course...

Best,

Jim Smith
The vinyl. No question. Then place it on an ancient AR XA TT & arm with a V-15 VxMR, an Apt Holman preamp, a Hafler DH-500 power amp and either a pair of Maggies or Martin Logan electrostat hybrids. Of course, both the Apt and the Hafler need to be refurbished, but that's doable. Yes, you can do better, but you'll need to spend insane dinero to do it.