Not another which is best but, I need help w/CDP

Hello all,

I kind of hate to see someone ask which is the best (insert various equipment here) but, I would love a reccomendation or two. I currently have a Sony DVP 9000ES in my video/second system and am completely happy with it except for one MAJOR annoyance............ It doesn't play CD-R or CD-RW's. I really want to be able to record LP's (onto CD-R) from my other system in my music room, bring them into the house and listen (no I don't want another TT setup).

My thought is to buy another CD player that does the job. I want the best possible sound without spending a fortune. Around $500 would be good but, if it'll make a huge improvement I might be willing to go as high as $1000. I have been eyeing the Sony SCD 777ES but then thought; does the thing even play CD-R's? Or, how does it compete with newer designs? And of course, it is more than $500.

Any thoughts????

Thanks

Chris
cmo
I also have a Sony DVP 9000ES. In my case I have a few favorist songs that don't exist on CDs. I tried CD-RW (memorex brand. It may work with other brands too but I have not try yet), using Nero software to burn as the out put of *.WAV files. It works on my Sony DVP 9000ES. I also save the songs in the hard dirve for back up since CD-RW could be eraised accidently.

Hope it may will help.
If you could squeeze a couple hundred more on the budget. A used Audio Aero Prima would be a great choice!
For 600 you can get a Marantz 8260. I think new ones can be had for about 750 now. A new one may be better as this player is known for troubles with cdr's but if under warranty they'll replace the parts. I don't play enough cdr's to worry about it but if I had more I'd take it in and get the update done.
used sony dvp-s7700 at 200 to 275 used; great redbook transport that reads CDR discs no problem...very high quality unit and a steal as a used unit. very good dvd player, too, although no progressive scan

this was a top of the line unit and is very well built with premium components...can be modded for even better performance