Not another which is best but, I need help w/CDP

Hello all,

I kind of hate to see someone ask which is the best (insert various equipment here) but, I would love a reccomendation or two. I currently have a Sony DVP 9000ES in my video/second system and am completely happy with it except for one MAJOR annoyance............ It doesn't play CD-R or CD-RW's. I really want to be able to record LP's (onto CD-R) from my other system in my music room, bring them into the house and listen (no I don't want another TT setup).

My thought is to buy another CD player that does the job. I want the best possible sound without spending a fortune. Around $500 would be good but, if it'll make a huge improvement I might be willing to go as high as $1000. I have been eyeing the Sony SCD 777ES but then thought; does the thing even play CD-R's? Or, how does it compete with newer designs? And of course, it is more than $500.

Any thoughts????

Thanks

Chris
cmo
If you could squeeze a couple hundred more on the budget. A used Audio Aero Prima would be a great choice!
For 600 you can get a Marantz 8260. I think new ones can be had for about 750 now. A new one may be better as this player is known for troubles with cdr's but if under warranty they'll replace the parts. I don't play enough cdr's to worry about it but if I had more I'd take it in and get the update done.
used sony dvp-s7700 at 200 to 275 used; great redbook transport that reads CDR discs no problem...very high quality unit and a steal as a used unit. very good dvd player, too, although no progressive scan

this was a top of the line unit and is very well built with premium components...can be modded for even better performance
the marantz 8260 is pretty darn good. it just doesnt have the deepest bass or the resolving transparent highs. it has a graceful/musical midrange on sacd and redbook and is untouchable for in those areas for anything less than $2k imo...

the first/earlier units had problems reading cd's or sacd's (mother board revison on later models).. later units from 2004 seem to be okay (personal experience here)...
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Has anyone compared the Marantz or Rotel units to the Sony SCD777?

Chris