Speaker shootout update; aggressive treble eliminating some (fairly?)

I've been trying out speakers in a complicated shoot out, both bookshelves and towers — all in my home with my gear. I'm looking for speakers obtainable up to about $4k but could go up (or down) a bit if the right thing came along.

Basic facts: All speakers were run in at least 100 hours. Room is 27 x 14 x 6.5 ceilings. Powering with all QS tubes, 60w, NOS, tube R2R dac, and decent cables. No terrible reflection points; room not overly live or dampened. REL R 328 sub available but I did most listening without it.

Recent auditions, type:

Klipsch RP 600-M (budget singleton of the group)
Fritz Rev Carbon 7 mk II (bookshelf, 2 way, soft dome)
Focal 936 (tower, 3 way, inverted metal)
Martin Logan Motion 60s XTi (tower, 3 way, AMT)

Coming soon:

Salk SS 6M (bookshelf, 2 way, beryllium)
Dynaudio Evoke 30's (tower, 3 way, soft dome)

Let me speak just to the problems, rather than what was good about the speakers. So far, I've found the Klipsch, Focal, and especially the Martin Logans were all too bright — forward, aggressive, "turn it down" treble.

The ML's were the most impossible to tame and hardest to listen to on more tracks. (I did a lot of hanging of towels and other dampeners and other soft things to try to see if I could bring them to heel. I varied the recordings used. Changed cables/wires. No luck.)

The Focals were occasionally too bright; their bigger problem was a bit too much energy in my small listening space. They were better when I plugged their ports with socks.

I'm looking forward to how the next two speakers sound. The Dynaudio towers, I notice, are 10 inches shorter and half the weight of the other towers; not sure what that might mean, but it could just be right size for my space. I'm looking forward to seeing if the Salks bring more detail to the treble without also being too rolled off or harsh.

Hearing is very personal for physiological and taste reasons. However, if anyone has any thoughts about why I might be experiencing some of the phenomena I am (harsh treble, especially) based on my room or gear, etc., that might help me understand factors I'm not fully appreciating. Thanks.

128x128hilde45
Great advice Lemonhaze!

Giks 244 panels are 4x8x4” made with ownes corning I believe.  Anyhow, they work great Hilde45.  You ought to grab 4 of them to start.  Hang 2 on the ceiling above your speakers using the mirror trick.  When you order the Gik 244 panels buy 2 “cloud mounting brackets” for mounting 2 panels to the ceiling. I’d recommend using 1 panel directly in between the speakers and one panel directy behind you.

The 244 panels are considered bass traps.  They’ll tighten up your bass and make it better defined along with helping with decay times!  You can order them with scatter plates for some diffusion and a better look, and you can also have art printed on them too so they look nice.  Maroon Bells centered between the speakers would look nice.

Glad you like the Salks!  They are keepers it sounds like.
@hilde45 

A couple of photo's of the SS6's would be a nice thing.  Also check with Timbernation about custom speakers stand with the height and top plate dimensions to fit the Salk's.  Also multiple finish choices.
Hi hilde45, you mentioned, I think that you only hear to 14KHz. I only hear to 12K but it does not matter. The very high freq's are harmonics and for realistic sound it's essential that the tweeter is able to reproduce them.

Transients are rich in harmonics, they provide the leading edge and spatial clues. This stems from man's survival in the wild. The sharp crack of a breaking twig  gives the direction and even height of possible danger. We need those high freq's man.

Consider some musical instruments, a sax, a violin and a piano, robbed of all harmonics playing middle C. What will be heard is only the fundamental freq. a sine wave (261Hz), the instruments sounding exactly the same. It is the associated harmonics with the fundamental that allows one to recognise the piano say. The better and more complete the harmonics the more the piano will sound like a piano and listening fatigue is delayed.

Last year attending the XFI Premium Show in Holland I managed to have a lengthy. informative chat with Max Townshend from the UK. He was lecturing and demonstrating his super-tweeter. When hooked up the sound opened up with improved imaging and rhythm. Rim shots, snare,  the whole drum kit and mid range improved. Understandable because of a more complete harmonic structure.Still thinking about that tweeter, expensive though. The sound was not brighter, just cleaner and a lot more fun.

Some links that may interest you. The first one is excellent with much on REW. Plus a bunch of other very useful links. The second link has a short video on powder on a plate being excited by a sweep tone.  Enlightening. This is essential reading for anyone wanting to inexpensively take their system to the next level. A level that I don't believe can be attained by endless upgrading of components.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/610173-acoustics-treatment-reference-guide...

https://ledgernote.com/columns/studio-recording/acoustic-treatment-guide-for-panels-and-foam/

@b_limo I’ve not really done my critical listening yet. Thanks for the info about the GIK stuff. I’m not ready to start spending money in this area yet.
@jackd Here’s a nice comparison photo of Salks SS 6M and Fritz Carbon Rev Carbon 7 mk II

Replace "dot" with "."

photos dot app dot goo dot gl/Mn3xMdCuUn3dw41MA

@lemonhaze Thank you so much for the links. Saving, reading, enjoying to come! I hope to design a listening room from the ground up, with a dedicated line.

@brownsfan @lemonhaze
@mapman
@djones51I’ve tried some measurements using REW software. First I tested with my Adcom amp and then switched to the tube gear. At first I measured with the mic pointed straight up (D’oh!) and then did more with the mic pointed forward.So…three photos — if you can get to them — are with the Salk speakers, with the microphone pointed forward. SPL graph. Right, left, and combined. I’m new at this, so this is probably of limited value, but gotta start somewhere.

photos dot app dot goo dot gl/Pus38hvRmMqrp8gz8
@hilde45 Con-grads on getting the SALKs. There has been some very good advice here and It looks like you’re on your way to an incredibly good set up.
I agree about the hobby idea. After a point, we can find ourselves obsessed with the fiddling and not taking time to enjoy the music or the sweet spot once we’ve finally found it, or even recognize it when we do. My suggestion is: When you get close and it seems right, gather up some of your favorite tunes, a cold beer, and set back, relax and listen, to the music, not the system. At least, for me, when a system is right, it is about being drawn into the performance, with an underlying awareness of little subtle things - the timber of the horns, the tinkle of a triangle or the breath of a vocalist - that make it seem real. After 20 or 30 minuets - the feeling "I want the show to go on", not the feeling "I think I need an Advil".

@decooney I am driving my Maggie 1.7s with a Rogue Cronus Mag. II, 100W pr side tubed integrated, with KT120s. Also for a while with a Ayre V- 5xe 150W pr ch. SS amp with an Audible Illusions tubed pre. I like both very well, but favor the tubes. I think the 1.7s would sound very good with your QS tubed monos, in a medium sized room as long as you could put them at least 2’ from the side walls and at least 3’ from the front wall.
My 1.7s are set up in a medium sized room, 14’W x 27’D with a 10’ ceiling and open to the dinning rm. on the left another 12’x14’x10’. They are on the 14’ wall with a heavy carpeted floor and acoustic drapes on the wall behind and on the wall to the right and a fiber board acustic panel ceiling. In my room, they are very sensitive to set up but now that dialed in, sound incredible, regardless of where I sit and I wouldn’t trade them for anything else near their price.
Thanks to my little furry buddy’s 3:00 AM wake up calls, I get to set back and enjoy some great music every morning from about 3 - 6 AM, before getting the wife up to start the day and then again, most afternoons for a couple hours, with a cold beer.
Someday I might invest in the larger 3.7is and a bit more power, but for now, am very much enjoying what I have....Jim