Denon 6500 - Am I crazy?

**I know everything is subjective and it all comes down to what I think sounds 'good', but I figured there are some valued opinions here I would love to hear.

Amateur here and first-timer to the forums, but wanting to learn more.  If I land on B&W 704 S2s like I'm eyeing AND I want to leave the door open for creating a Surround/Theater experience for when I watch movies am I being crazy going for something like the AVC-X6500H (140W when driving 2ch @ 8 ohms)?  

I see thousands of 2-channel amps (and I have a decent one that I ordered but hasn't arrived) that people use.  Is that because they are MARKEDLY superior to a multi-channel amp like this one or is because they have no desire for surround and they just pick up a nice 2-ch amp?

I ask because I'm building a theater room for my basement and I want to be able to drive my 704s (not bought yet) but if I'm selling myself extremely short by buying this amp I want to know.

bound4h
that horribly priced thing has 11.1 surround.

are you thinking of a super theater with 11.1? It’s nothing special as a 2 channel amp.

Think it thru now, the cost of the speakers, proper locations, interconnects, speaker wiring, seating positions, ceiling heights ...

these things are very complicated, did I say very ...

I’m damnnn happy with 5.1. and my Sony AVR, for Video, I would not consider it for my Music System.

those speakers are sensitivity 88db/1w/1m, I advise 90 or above, for music, the higher the sensitivity, the less power you need, leaves you money for other things, and higher sets you up to try tubes some day.

Home Theater, you want wide dispersion, a center channel directly below the monitor, and enough of a center image for 2 or 3 people,

I use/love these old dogs for home theater mains

http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/dbx-soundfield-100-135.html

at least read about how they are designed for wide center, then choose your mains informed

this Bose low profile center channel has fit in 3 different configurations for me, blends very well, simple, in-expensive, darn good.

https://www.ebay.com/i/133029764436?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=133029764436&targetid=915850255573&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9003512&poi=&campaignid=10454521601&mkgroupid=104612011660&rlsatarget=pla-915850255573&abcId=2146002&merchantid=6296724&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvIT5BRCqARIsAAwwD-RooHNVhnshpy6vry4F9w0iXjMXgjfRn-MMrGnsaVSN5b9hlUs1_i0aAgQdEALw_wcB

Notice the little dispersion vents on the top edge, a little clearance is needed for them.

Don't forget, many programs sound best 'direct' or 2 channel stereo, which means no sub, so you want decent bass out of your mains. I am not a fan of using ports to get more bass, thus you need 8-10-12" woofers to move enough air. Dual 6-6.5" keep the cabinet smaller, perhaps enough bass, but again, avoid ports, so narrow fronts want taller/deeper to give the woofers enough cubic feet in the cabinet to do a good job.

You really do not have to worry about ported speakers as many are now designed that way.  Because a audiophile doesn’t like them doesn’t mean they aren’t any good.  Use your own ears to listen.  It does not matter what any of us think, it’s your system and your hearing. 
Ugh, keep the 2 channel and home theater seperate. 2 different animals. Those home theater amps are generally lousy for any serious 2 channel listening. They are design compromised one box do it all junk, at least when it comes to 2 channel listening. For movies and all  that,  then yea they are fine. Invest in a nice dedicated 2 channel amp.