ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE QUESTION TO ANSWER ...

Hello to all...

Hypothetical question: You are going into an audio store to listen to a Cambridge Audio CDX81 Integrated amp and a CDX CD Transport thru speakers you are familiar with (or have at home in your system). You are allowed to bring only ONE CD TO LISTEN TO, by one group and/or one artist - WHAT IS IT AND WHY?

OF COURSE - there were those who will say I don't do CDs - so in that case you can only access ONE COMPLETE ALBUM OF MUSIC BY ONE GROUP OR ARTIST.

NO SINGLE SONGS PLEASE...

NO TWO CHOICES PLEASE - NO "... IF I COULDs PLEASE... "

My Choice: BLOOD SWEAT AND TEARS  by Blood Sweat and Tears, 1962. Great tunes, fairly well recorded; lots of horns, drums and "odd sounds"; loud and soft levels throughout; different vocalists solo and in harmony - and lots of Toe-tappin' Music.

What would your choice be?
insearchofprat
Jeff Wayne’s amazing recording of War of the Worlds! After all the dynamics, Richard Burton’s voice better be ’right’, it is very revealing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Wayne%27s_Musical_Version_of_The_War_of_the_Worlds

I’ve also got the LP version, bring that too, leave it in the car, then ....!
"Abbey Road." Once through, start to finish, and you'll know if what you are auditioning is right. (You'll know sooner than that, of course, but why not listen anyway.)

Excellent call re the BS&T self-titled album, in my opinion. (As an aside, though, it was released in late 1968, not 1962, which was several years before the group came into being. During the mid-60s two of its founders, Al Kooper and Steve Katz, were members of The Blues Project).

As one who listens mostly to classical music my choice would be Dvorak’s Symphony No. 9 (the "New World" symphony), remastered by Chesky as CD31, Jascha Horenstein conducting the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, and originally recorded in 1962 (!). Originally engineered by the great Kenneth Wilkinson for Decca.  A  tour de force both musically and sonically.

Regards,
-- Al