Best Headphones $150?

Hello everyone

I need some help as I’m looking for a nice pair of ‘new’ headphones under $150.
Predominate use will be on the PC or DAC listening to music and movies,

Not for use while cycling, playing Polo, Jogging, Parasailing, Sky diving, SCUBA, pet grooming, Fondu-ing, listening to C-span, or while Noodeling, Armadillo hunting, spelunking, lumberjacking, surviaval outings, high wire walking, skiing, Safaris, and definitely no Ostrich racing will be involved, neither as jockey or spectator.

I’m thinking open back types as I need to hear things around me when I’m using them.

Primarily I listen to Jazz, Blues, R&B, Classic Rock, Big Band Jazz, C&W, Folk, Americana and Jazz Vocals… and of course the PC’s adaptive talking software as I use it for purely PC stuff too.

As extended use is a necessity, comfort is key. Thereafter, in audio, I’m all about natural sounding re-creations. I also lean towards something with a bit of jump to it over laid back finesse, albeit never to the point of the sound being bombastic or throbbing.

Clear, coherent, solid bass and musicality fill out the balance of my preffs.

Being able to upgrade or replace worn out parts would be really nice.

Not sure about how much impedance matters in this regard, or even if one has a choice in this price range.

So far, I’ve noticed Grado Prestige Series SR-60i, and 80i get much positive press and I’m leaning towards the 80i’s. I’ve not heard the 60s or 80s. Nor any others for that matter, but I feel pretty secure in going on what is predominately mentioned here as good solutions without actually auditioning them first. I’m thinking pretty much anything recommended in this thread will surpass the performance levels of those $20 - $25 Sony’s, JVC’s, etc., I’ve used for years.

I did own some plannar types once, but never liked the feel or the sound to much and they went for $300 about 20 years ago. Sure? STI? Sennheiser?, tight and bulky with flat foam on the ear pads. Yech.

Please help… thanks so very much.
blindjim
These are very comfortable and sound great, especially for the price.

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-air Dynamic Audiophile Headphones $99 New
OK...here's my ideea.

The sound is the key, right?

I’ve narrowed it down to these 3 and only need to get an idea of what sort of sound can be expected from them. Actually it’s two brands, but 3 models.

Grado & Senheiser.

As Duke suggested, the SR 125i’s, and IMO, the 225i’s. Or, the Sen 518’s.

My idea and it’s OK with the dealership too, is to buy & try the Grado Sr 80i’s. Maybe they’l be fine enough and I’m done... knowing me though, I doubt it.

IF they are NOT my cup o' tea… I can opt up to either the Grado SR 125 or the 225i’s… which everywhere I look online, receive very high praise… from reviews and their owners.

Or entirely opt out of Grado and into Sehnheiser land with the 518s.

Then I guess it all comes down to finding out the SONIC diffs between the Sen 518s, and either the grado 125i’s, or 225i’s.

The aspect of having cups rather than another “on ear” experience is attractive too at this point.

I feel the AT AD 700’s are likely to detailed for me to enjoy for lengthy periods, though again, I’m looking back on my usual preffs. Analytical and overly detailed audio wears thin quickly on me. However, Musically resolute with detailed sonic cues is most welcomed. Pulling off the latter combination is likely to stiff a chore for HPs in and around $150, IMHO… so I”ve let AT out of this hunt.

That should do it for me, any notions on these HPs sound diffs are sincerely desired and I’ll wrap this one up and report back here on their sound in a couple months

Huge thanks.

Thanks all...

RE KOSS
I can only find the port a pros with mic... but I did find Koss RUK40 - $40 free ship with a 60 day free trial/return or upgrade window.

RE There is a solution!

given this is a budget buying affair, and having much respect for those members known to me here, it seems prudent to begin at the begining or entry level position, and if not satisfied or funds permit more to be laid out, escalate the trek accordingly.

IF the Koss entury isn't suitable, Grado SR80i SR125i, Sen SD 558, or Sure 840 are inline to follow up. of these, I'm sure one will quell the need for new confortable, noisey ear muffs.

Further research with online info tells me the Grado's might be too much for me sonically and wearing for extended periods I hear, isn't mentioned with glowing remarks especially below the 225i's.

The Sen 518 seems less attractive to waste time with given the price diffs between it and the 558 aren't insurmountable.

Right there with the Sen 558, sonically speaking, the Sure's 840 build quality doesn't get much love but it's confort and SQ do. it's unique diameter jack is offputting, but fixable.

naturally, hearing is believing and now this aspect is available, albeit, independantly of each prospect like wiht about anything else in audio. it usually is one after another, note taking time once more.

Huge thanks for the help here.

any further notions or input is, as always, very welcome.
bj:
these are the koss (sans mic) i recommended-- $35.50 shipped:

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-PortaPro-Headphones-with-Case/dp/B00001P4ZH/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1373401337&sr=1-1&keywords=koss+portapro

koss warrants them for life. i don't know the ruk40, so can't comment on them.