Educate me on music streamers, please.

I just recently started a trial of Roon, Audirvana, Tidal, Deezer, Qobuz and Spotify.  In the past, I just played FLACs on Foobar or streamed on Google Play.  

Roon and Audirvana are pretty cool and I like that you can add Tidal and Qobuz but you can't add Deezer (I really like Deezer's Flow).   I don't like that I can't stream Deezer to my Raspberry Pi with RopieeeXL.  

So, I was thinking that maybe a music streamer that has all of these services would be a good idea.  Anyone have one they like?  Do they have their own "sound"?  I have a DAC  - so would the DAC sound change whatever comes out of the streamer?

Sorry for the basic questions.  I appreciate any help.

soundchasr
If you use Roon you can assemble a fanless NUC and connect it to you ayre codex by USB or use a raspberry pi4 roon bridge to connect to the codex and put the NUC elsewhere. 
@djones51 - I am currently using a Raspberry Pi4 with RopieeeXL for Roon.  

I've watched the Darko videos and done a little more research.  Although I don't think a streamer is a must-have because I'm making do with the Pi and Chromecast presently, I do think I'd like to get one to make things easier.  I can definitely see the benefit of that! 

The key, and what would make it most valuable to me, is one that can handle everything from Roon and Audirvana to Amazon HD and Deezer.  Not sure how hard that will be to find.  

It seems like the Node 2i and the Cambridge Audio CXN are both very popular.  

I've used Deezer for many years.  I love the "Flow" feature, and for my tastes, they have a larger selection of artist that I like.

I've found these streamers that natively support Deezer:

$2000+
  • DCS Network Bridge
  • NAD M50.2
  • SimAudio Moon Mind2

Less than $1000
  • Bluesound Node 2i - $549
  • Sonos Connect (discontinued - used, about $100)
  • Sonos Port - $449
  • Yamaha WXC-50 - $349
  • Audiolab 6000n Play - $649

I used a Sonos Connect, modded by Wyred for Sound for a few years.  It was good, and was certainly better than the stock Connect.  When the Node 2i came out, a number of people thought the modded Connect was a little better than the 2i - some thought the 2i was a little better.  Not a clear winner from my research.

The Sonos Port is their new streamer introduced this year.  Supposed to be much better than the Connect, but that doesn't say much.  It can be modded by Wyred4Sound as well for $450.  

The Audiolab 6000n looks interesting and gets decent reviews.

There are also products like the IFI Ipurifier SPDIF that you can try with the above <$1000 streamers to see if you get a boost in SQ.  I use one in my second system and it was an improvement.

Many people are very happy with the streaming capabilities of the Node2i and use it as a front end to exceptional dacs.   I'd probably start there.  You'll get all the major streaming services as well as the ability to be a Roon endpoint.

If you want to maximize your $1000 budget, consider a modded Node 2i from Fidelity Audio.  They have a couple offerings of internal and external power supply mods.

There are rumors on the Deezer and Roon forums that these companies are finally going to work together to get Deezer integrated with Roon.  We'll see...

I currently use the DCS Network Bridge.  I find in excellent in my system.

Good luck with your search!

@veroguy - that is some awesome information!  Very helpful.  

What made you go with the DCS Network Bridge?
Well, based on all of the great info and @veroguys comprehensive post, I took the plunge with the Node 2i.  I like all of its features and, especially, that it can be modded/upgraded.  

Should have it tomorrow!