Near Field listening

Looking for suggestions and thoughts for the purchase of a pair of monitors for a small room. Associated equiptment will be a Music Reference RM10 mkll and a RM4 phono stage and a tt. I have owned the Linn Tukans and liked them fine and that is all the experience I have with monitors. I listen to a lot of Jazz and singer songwriter type music.
Thanks
rnadell
Hi and thanks for all the responses. My budget is 1000 max and really I would prefer to not spend that much although I might have to. I am using vandersteen 2ce's and they are available for less than a 1000 so it would be hard for me to justify spending more.
Thanks
Concerning studio monitors - I got a laugh out of Lrsky's comments about studio monitors not being that good. I recall many engineers telling me that they liked the JBL 4311s because they sounded so bad that once you got the music sounding good on them, it would sound great anywhere else.

To the OP - Harbeth speakers work very well for nearfield sane-volume listening.
Harbeths have come up a couple of times. Which models are you speaking of? I ask because in his review of the Compact 7s, Sam Tellig said they, "didn't like to be positioned in the nearfield. give them at least 8' from your ears; anything nearer and the treble might be localized at the tweeters." Can anyone comment? Thanks.
-Bob
Another consideration is Tekton Design speakers. They're very affordable and sound beautiful.
http://www.tektondesign.com/loudspeaker.html