Will a $700 turntable outperform a CD player?

I’m looking into getting a second source as I don’t want to be tied down to internet and a streaming service as my only source.  Will a $700 turntable and inexpensive phono preamp out perform a Cambridge CXC transport / Schiit Gungir Multibit?  
The Schiit Sol / mani preamp look enticing but I know nothing about turntables.

I used to dj and always used technics Sl1200’s and really liked them.  I can pick up a nice SL1200 mk3 used for $600...

I figure that before I start spending hundreds, possibly thousands, on cd’s or vinyl, I should be sure which format I want!

Thanks for any advice / input regarding this 😁

Best Regards,
Bruce
128x128b_limo
If you often find yourself tapping your toes along with music in the elevator maybe not. 
"Vinyl is so much better than digital it really is not a question of sound quality. Its purely a question of personality. If playing a record is something you will enjoy then its a match made in heaven. If it feels like drudgery then you will probably find it easier to put up with digital and learn to pretend not to notice how it sounds."  This exactly!!!!!!!!!!
Outperform-verb, perform better than.

a member pm’d me an iformed me that someone would have to come and set up the stylus, I’d have to buy a record cleaner, find domewhere to store my records, that I can’t skip tracks with a remote...

so I don’t care about having to get up to change records, can’t I just do what I used to do and not touch the records and occasionally clean / condition them with some gruv glide?, store my records on the ground inside a flight case?

Can I not just buy a good sounding $700 turntable that comes with a catridge already installed and “set-up” buy a decent phono preamp, and some records?

My reservations are that records will more than likely be more expensive and a $700 vinyl set-up not outperforming, ie, sounding better, than my gungir and CXC...