Pioneer Direct Drives - Now and then?

I'm toying with the idea of getting into vinyl in the near future, and saw a recent model Pioneer recommended as a poor-man's Technics.  Also saw some very pretty vintage units for sale here and there.

I'm wondering if anyone has direct experience with them who could offer suggestions?
erik_squires
I've read about the Pioneer bearing issue, and that it's been cleaned up since they first came out.
Erik,I come here to read and learn without posting responses, but I have enjoyed your contributions for some time and felt the science project would be interesting. I look forward to reading the results of your experience with vinyl in your system. I do agree on the convenience of digital and with my setup with a speck more invested, digital sounds better than my entry level turntables (both Rega Planar3 and Pioneer PL-550) with a Musical Paradise Phenomenon II preamp.
Offer stands if I still have it when your ready to jump.
By the way, I couldn't agree with you more regarding room treatments as you have discussed in many other threads.
Hi Erik
Weird suppositions guy here.  Guilty as charged. I have read your posts for a long time and enjoy your enthusiasm for audio.   I was/am surprised (blown away) that your diy energy had not yet bubbled over into vinyl, a tweaker’s dream.  I assumed an experienced audiophile like you would already have listened to enough vinyl to make a decision. My bad. Not for everyone of course, due to the cost, additional work and space involved. “Why bother?” is a question everyone must ask themselves, especially those who are already happily into streaming.  I also think you got me going when you predicted only buying five records.  All the best,
David