PS Direct Stream Vs. Lumin X 1 Sound quality difference?

I think I'm going to purchase a Lumin X-1 and sell my PS Direct Steam Dac.
Can anyone share their experience with these 2 products, particularly in sound quality?

ozzy
128x128ozzy
Ozzy, you can't go wrong with Lumin....good support, well engineered product. If I had the dough I would have gotten the X1 but settled for the T2 and am happy with that choice

Ozzy,

I have both but not compared them the same way yet.  With the DirectStream (DS), I have connected via microRendu both with USB and then with Matrix from microRendu and then I2S to preamp.  The Lumin X1 takes significant break-in of at least 200 hours but recommendations say double that and I am getting close now.  It truly has dramatically improved from the out of the box and as I continue to add plaing hourss.

Lately I have been experimenting with running the X1 straight to active crossover and not using the preamp. I have not tried the DS that way. I will try to cut some time this long weekend to do that and will do listening using the same XLR cabling from the DACs to the active crossover.  

I really like my preamp,a Vinnie Rossi L2 Statement DHT, which also has a DAC.  However, the X1 direct to active crossover has provided excellent results.  If you do not have other sources you wish to use, this makes for a very simple connection system.  It will be interesting to do this with the DS.  Both PS Audio and Lumin provide free updates to their platforms.   I was one of the early ordering owners of the DS, and it has been completely trouble free for me.  

I hope to post my impressions next week.

azwill,

When you can please update your impression of the sound quality  between the two Dac's. 
It would be very helpful.

ozzy
Well I ordered the Lumin X1 and traded in my PS Direct Stream. I hope I did the right thing.
We'll see...

ozzy
Ozzy,

I did some comparisons over the long weekend with my PS Direct Stream and my Lumin X1.  My impressions are my own perceptions on my on own system.  I also did not level match the various combinations I tested.  I came away with renewed respect for the PS Direct Stream, but did prefer the Lumin X1 overall.  

My X1 is going direct to my active crossover and currently not using a preamp.  I am connected via fiber optic ethernet from A Side of an EtherRegen.  I have a ground connection from my SoTM PS1000 linear supply to the ER.  I also run copper to a microRendu from A Side and use a separate power supply, Uptone LPS 1.2 for it.  From the mR I connected a WireWorld Platinum Starlight USB to a Matrix X-SPIDF-2 with a WW Starlight 7 HDMI cable to I2S on the DS.  The Matrix is powered by an HDPlex linear power supply.  I recently have acquired a pair of Audio Sensibility Signature OCC Silver XLR cables that have approximately 60 hours run time on them so far.  I transferred these from the X1 to DS for testing direct to the active crossover.  I used Herbie's Tenderfeet under the DS and initially used these as well as same cables for the X1.

I used a variety of music selections with Redbook rates as well as DSD 64, DSD 128, 24/96, and DXD (352 kHz) with selections I like and am familiar with. These involved female and male vocals, and variety of instruments.

I was listening for vocal qualities, imaging, sound staging,  perceived dynamics, and perceived transient retrieval.  I have not kept further track of hours on my X1, but should be close to 400 hours.

My initial impressions favored the DS for vocals, with seemingly more weight and seemingly more natural voice texture.  I thought imaging and dynamics were better with the X1 with seemingly better transient retrieval. It seemed to present more detail information. Soundstage seemed close on some and seemingly wider with the X1.  The DS was a bit warmer and overall very organic presentation.  It is just a very enjoyable unit to listen to.  Though I favored the X1 on this run, it was much closer than I had thought it would be.   The DS direct to active crossover provides more noticeable detail retrieval than through my preamp and not as warm either.  I like it direct for me.

I have been using some Daedalus DIDs feet under my X1 from early on.  The X1 really needs substantial break in, and the presentation really does evolve.  Very early on the imaging was flat, and vocals too detailed and sharp.  The DIDs improved both over the stock feet and the Herbie's Tenderfeet.  When I put the DIDs back in for the same selections, the perceived differential between the DS and the X1 widened in favor of the X1, with vocals most noticeablly more natural and nuanced--think better than the DS now.  I did not find any degradation in the other areas and the overall presentation seemed more organic and enjoyable.  I did not test the DIDs under the  PS.  If I keep the DS, I may pursue trying that but it is a pain getting to the XLR cables and connections, and I wearied of doing it further for now.

As an aside, I find minor changes in position with footer feet, both the Tenderfeet, but more so with the DIDs make a difference.  It is pretty easy to make small incremental movements with these and judge the changes.

I have had the DS since it first came out--early adopter.  I have too many DACS and have considered moving it on before, but truly it is a very enjoyable unit and have not convinced myself to do so.  I think the results could be improved further in my system with the DS if I would make some additional changes.  The mR has been good to me, but I believe going to the Ultra Rendu and better yet the Optical Rendu or Signature Rendu SE Optical would up my perceived results.  I had considered those changes in my system before the X1.  

I really like the connection simplicity of the X1 with fiber optic ethernet to it and XLR out.  I have not experienced any drop outs with the X1 on streaming.  It just seems to work and very reliably.  I use Roon and also use the Lumin App often with Qobuz.  Most of the time the mR has worked very well, but I have had some issues in the past with it. I recently replaced the micro SD card, and it has been doing well since.  There are more connections, cables, and power supplies with the DS.  

Ozzy, I see you have indicated you have ordered an X1.  I think you will be very pleased, but the break in time is no joke.  I have read the recommendations saying to run it for a couple weeks constantly before you go to listen.  I did not do that, but knew long break in was required.  If your curiosity and impatience intervenes as it did with me,  know that the unit really improves.  I suspect mine still is.  Hope you enjoy it.