Confused About LP Warps...How Can I Tell??

Hello Good People,

What are the different types of warps you find when inspecting an LP? How do I know which is which??

Is it bad for my cartridge (Dynavector 10X5) to play these??

Most importantly - when I'm shopping for used LP's, how can I detect a warp when I'm viewing the record at the store??

Seems like a lot of the used LP's I bring home lately are making my tonearm "surf some waves" - so I'm trying to avoid this!

Any help is most appreciated - and feel free to call me ignorant!
theunderlyingtheme
I've found the only fool proof way to check for a warp is to place the record on a turntable and spin it around - very obvious when you do this. Unless I really want the record I don't buy warped records as they are virtually impossible to dewarp. That said, I do own a few warped records and as long as the warp is not severe they play fine.

DS

Thanx for the suggestions...so playing a slightly warped record is not going to shorten the life of a stylus or do anything else harmful??
No, they are all correct. A severe scratch on the LP would be WAY more harmful than a slight warp. It will not damage your stylist at all, It will just track the LP groove slightly up and down, unless it’s a huge warp! It’s kinda like your car driving up and down hills in the road. The car tracks straight, but a big tree limb in the road would damage your car as a big scratch on an LP would potentially damage your stylist. Was that a good analogy? Only one that comes to mind. You’re good!😃😃
Warped records must be graded as warped by the seller, just don’t buy warped records, instead you can find same release is better condition (almost always).

Put the record on the platter and rotate it watching the edge of the record (side view on the platter) and you will see. Minor warp (a few millimetres) is irrelevant, records are not perfect. If you see more than 5mm warp just don’t buy it.

Cartridge can play warped record, some high compliance MM can play totally warped records without skipping.

You Dynavector can play slightly warped records.