Buying a new TT today

So I’m pretty hellbent on buying a new TT today! Or should I be?!?!? 
I started off kind of sour on vinyl several years back when I ignorantly bought a cheap TT that had a built in phono stage.... Talk about a disappointment! And a buzz kill for vinyl!
Anyway a year or so later I bought a Project Carbon Debut and it blew my mind!!!!  The step up in most aspects of the TT, carbon fiber tone arm/heavier plinth/much heavier platter/motor and remote position/better cartridge in a Ortofon m2red, along with the fact the it was now running through my Integrated’s Phono Stage was just such a leap in sound that I never expected, that now I’m looking for yet another leap like that again lol
Anyway, with pocket flush with cash and headed to two hi-fi shops I pause....
In my new price range, $2,000 or so, should I be looking for a new TT? Or a new cartridge for the TT I have ?
thoughts.
264win
Please...some of the most expensive turntables in the world are uhm...belt driven

This is pointless argument. We’re talking about turntables with stable rotation and they are Direct Drive, no one using belt drive motor to cut lacquer (acetate) because you don’t want variable pitch on your record. Records are made on Direct Drive (Neumann Lathe to cut lacquer disc). Think about it.

Coreless Direct Drive motor is the most stable motor in the world, before new Technics there was JVC, Yamaha .... coreless DD motors.  

Pro-ject’s higher end turntables are very nice "belt drive" tt’s. If u want a DJ TT then get the technics...at best its ugly...

This is another pointless argument because the best Direct Drive turntables are NOT for DJs if you don’t know yet, DJs definitely adopted them because of the powerful motor and stable rotation. This is my ex Technics, do you think it’s a DJ turntable with Reed 3p "12 inch tonearm ? Or it looks ugly ?

Let me show you some and if the price is the argument for you then you will be shocked for how much this Denon Direct Drive goes for nowadays.

Pro-Ject is a joke like many audio components designed in the digital world of plastic toys. In this world turntables are not designed to last forever like it used to be in the 80’s. And the buyers know nothing about turntables today.

chakster,

"Pro-Ject is a joke like many audio components designed in the digital world of plastic toys."

That's a little harsh, don't you think?

I once helped a friend set up his Debut Carbon (Ortofon blue/ acrilyc platter) and it's an excellent deck. With the right record you'd never guess the total price. Just one level below the very best.

Yes, the Debut Carbon won't match the Technics for specs (but nothing else anywhere near the price will either) but it would still make an excellent first turntable for anyone (as would the Fluance, Rega or Audio Technica decks).

Wasn't the 1200G frighteningly close in performance to Michael Fremer's Continuum Caliburn deck?

Unfortunately vinyl replay much like CD replay depends very much upon the source recording. Possibly this explains why some audiophiles may find their music selection decreasing as their system resolving power improves.

Shows are often notorious for featuring a very limited but well recorded musical selection. 

Who wants that?
When I "upgraded" my Phase Linear 8000 (DD, made by Pioneer) around 20 years ago (the one with the linear tracking arm) because it broke, it was a revelation. I bought a $500 Music Hall turntable with the existing cartridge (I think it was a lower end Linn) and it absolutely blew me away. All those motors and electronics built into that thing made all kinds of noise. The simpler the better. Straight line and all that. I had that damn table for 15+ years. I wish it broke sooner.

2 tables later, the Rega P8 with the RB 880 arm is fantastic. Usually if I can get a noticeable improvement for less than a $1K net investment, I'll do it. The newer P10 has a new arm, RB3000, and has a better platter and power supply unit. Would probably cost additional $3K net. I'm too cheap for that, as Mike said on a post on one of these discussions, I'm at a plateau and happy. For now.....
I would go for the Technics 1200GR.  I doubt you would be unhappy with it.  Don't buy a VPI without hearing and using it first.  I found the Scout/Scoutmaster models very unappealing with wonky tonearms and a rather anemic presentation.
I am more interested if the OP actually bought a TT ‘today’.

I also bought a Caron Debut a little over a year ago (my old Kenwood 2055 just had too many issues, some of which existing when I put it in storage years ago) and quickly equipped it with the acrylic platter and Grado Red cartridge. I’m happy with it and the Mani pre w/LPS . All have served their purpose of digging back into my old vinyl again, and also making a lot of ‘new’ LP purchases. Now I know vinyl will be back in my collection for many years to come, and that was ‘my question’ after moving to primarily CD’s since the mid-80’s. I also now know that I will replace it (all) at some point, but a fine table for the initial investment, and is serving me well. I have zero regrets.

Personally? I’ve been keeping my eye out for a used VPI Scout, or similar.