How does Shure V15 Type IV compare?

Hi,  I recently got back into listening to vinyl again after 30+ years.   I purchased a new Project Classic turntable, and a new JICO stylus for my Shure V15 Type IV that I've kept from the 80's.   The Type IV cartridge with the new JICO stylus still sounds really great,  I think just as good as I remember when I used it in the 80's.   It sure beats the hack out of the Ortofon 2M silver cartridge that came with the turntable.

My question is, how does the Shure V15 Type IV stack up against today's high performance cartridges?  I want to know because if I were to upgrade from the Shure,  where do I begin?  at what price point should I start looking?   e.g Is the Shure just as good as let's say Ortofon 2m Black?   I would hate to spend hundreds of dollars to buy a new cartridge only to find out that it is inferior to the Shure.

Any information will be appreciated.  Thanks!
128x128xcool
The suspension on any cantilever of a stylus from the 70s, 80s or 90s is in a word 'shot' as it is perished. There is no way a stylus like this will perform properly- seek a new replacement. If not available there are many cartridges that will sound better as a result.
One inexpensive example is the Grado Gold.
Chakser:

Sorry, went a bit overboard about the vintage cartridges (not BD's VS DD's though;-).

DeKay
Roberjerman:

I never got to hear the MR version.

Thought about buying one (made in heaven match with my old SME), but the prices ended up doubling/tripling once it was discoed.

I recently found a new replacement stylus for my Grado (stored in a film can) that I don't recall buying, so I'm set for a few more years.

DeKay
Chak, I’d have to go check my cartridge treasure drawer to be certain, but it seems to me that the Pickering model above the XSV3000 is the XSV4500. I know you know about it, but above THAT there is also the XSV7500, which is a "low output" MM, an analog to the Stanton 980LZS and 981LZS.

@lewm

This is why i said XSV/4000 is very rare model, here is my sealed sample. Tosy Corporation was the importer in Japan and this is the only flyer i can find for XSV/4000 model.

Pickering also released "SP" version of both 3000 and 4000, the difference is lower compliance 15cu instead of 30cu, those are sweet for modern mid mass tonearms. The SP versions were popular in the late 80’s and mid 90’s. Some people might think that "SP" is for 78rpm, but in this case the "SP" is for "SPECIAL" and they are both for stereo micro groove records (Stereohedron stylus).

I never seen XSV/4500 but i have XLZ/4500 and XLZ/7500 in my collection. Those are great low impedance models made for use with high gain phono stages (or with MC headamps).

Another model is XSV-4500-XUV (or 4500Q) with Quadrahedron stylus for CD-4 records, but XSV/3000 with Stereohedron is better for normal records. Quadrahedron stylus profile is predecessor of Stereohedron. 

Pickering XSV-5000 is what i really like, another hard to find model, beautiful.

I sold my low impedance Stanton 980LZS when i compared it to Stanton Signature CS-100 WOS. I much prefer CS-100 WOS which is my favorite Stanton cartridge for sure.

No one mentions any more the AKG cartridges; have you heard one? I have two, one with a van den Hul stylus, that I bought used (a rare exception) and just have never had the time to audition. They were known to break easily. I own 6-8 expensive MC cartridges; only one or two of them can play in the league with the best MM/MI types in my collection. So I tend to agree with Chakster.

Thanks. I’ve heard about AKG serious problem with suspension, i think it was @nandric who said that AKG even destroyed a bunch of cartridges for this reason. As a result the AKG cartridge is not in my wantlist.

@chakster : how about the Microacoustics 2002 electret cartridge and the higher-priced models from this US company? I had the 2002 in use on a JH Formula 4 arm back in ’78. Sounded excellent!

@roberjerman yeah, i remember those with very long cantilever, never tried, you guys in the states are more lucky to find one