Bob Dylan - new album just out on Tidal - Rough and Rowdy Ways

Just a heads up. Bob’s new album is out on Tidal today. Just finished my first listen - I am a big fan of Bob Dylan - I consider him the Poet of my generation - at 79 his lyrics tell beautiful stories - IMO. Enjoy the music.

Happy Listening!
tom8999
Post removed 

When Dylan approached The Hawks in 1965, they were only vaguely aware of him. They came from a very different world, that of Rhythm & Blues, Blues, Jazz, Rockabilly (having served as Ronnie Hawkins’ band for a couple of years), and Hillbilly/Country. The Folk music heard on the radio was "p*ssy" music to them, effete urban and suburban "white" music.

They had been playing the "white chitlin" circuit, in working class bars across the east coast, midwest, and south (as well as up in Toronto), to hard drinking audiences, often separated from the audience by a chicken wire screen (to keep the flying bottles from reaching the stage ;-).

It was only after working with Dylan that they became what we hear on Music From Big Pink and the brown album, especially after spending all of 1967 in the basement of Big Pink, making music and recording it (the Basement Tapes, of course). Their influences---like that of Dylan---are deep and wide. Organist Garth Hudson is a classically-trained musician---reads music, knows music theory, etc. Levon Helm grew up listening to local Bluesmen---he lived in the same Arkansas town as Sonny Boy Williamson, sitting in the corner of the local radio station when SB performed live on the air---and The Grand Old Opry, just as had Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, and Carl Perkins. Bassist Rick Danko led his own Country band, once opening for Ronnie Hawkins & The Hawks. Richard Manuel played around Toronto, known for his Ray Charles-influenced vocal style and ability.

The Band were definitely not a Rock band, but they did play Rock ’n’ Roll (if you appreciate the difference). But much more: Hillbilly, Blues, Pop, and music which defies categorization via such crude terms.

Rock music is an amalgamation of blues, country, folk, and even a little jazz sometimes, to keep it simple. A full all-encompassing description of what is rock ’n’ roll or rock would take more time than I have left on this earth. Rock became the term used to describe rock ’n’ roll as it diversified from its 50s roots during the 60s, but either term is still used to describe the music made for young people (and now old people) from the 50s on.

So if the Hawks, later the Band, or any of Bob’s bands since then are not rock bands, what are they? When I used to go record shopping they were always in the Rock section and I’m sure that’s where you’ll find The Band’s and Bob’s music on Amazon or Ebay.  And that’s probably where most people who organize their music collections by genre have them. While that category may not be perfect, it’s the most practical. But, if anyone wants to explain why they are not rock, I’d be happy to read it and learn.
No, this all started from you making the statement, ‘if he (Dylan) wants to be in a rock band....’ and implying his current effort doesn’t meet the classification of a being in a ‘rock band’, so why doesn’t he just quit? Or find another singer?? Seriously? 😳 You seem to be putting Dylan in some box that to you think he should remain. 

I just don’t get that opinion. It just does not reflect all the various kinds and types of music Dylan has done over the years. I’m sure he is most focused on what he is doing today, just as he has always done.....Dylan has always done what he wants to do...... That is a luxury many without his genius and talent cannot afford. Whether I or you like the direction of his current album or not really isn’t important to Bob. Never has been.

I’m sure he will be just fine.