Ever feel like a "low dollar" customer that your dealer doesn't think worth their time?

I'm a careful researcher for audio gear and I also understand the value of brick and mortar stores. I am not OCD and I am not an irascible haggler. Indeed, I have told my local stores that if they carry something I like, I will buy from them and not try to find it cheaper on the net. I have purchased major pieces of gear from them.

Nevertheless, one local shop is erratic in how it treats me. Emails can take a long time to get acknowledged, and often exchanges take several back-and-forths to get clear questions answered. This shop sells gear at my price point and up to 10x more (think Wilson speakers, $7k power cords). I often feel I'm more like a fly buzzing around their heads than a valued customer trying to establish a customer-dealer relationship. I am trying to be loyal, but it makes me want to shop online. I could be reading the situation wrong, but this is definitely a pattern.

Has anyone else had the sense that they were too much of a "low dollar" customer to be worth the dealer's time?
128x128hilde45
Hilde - I forgot to add I love your thread and the even handed tone you set :-)

In my Poverty bay system pics there is a picture of our Labrador listening to power amps during an all day demo at Audio Alternative ( now hi Fi buys in Atlanta ) talk about welcomed in !!!!

also for those wanting to bookmark used gear pages try Gig Harbor Audio and Hawthorne in Seattle. Eric at GHA is expanding !!!!!
I have experienced both sides of the coin. One as a middle school kid. A life long friend of mine and I would ride our bikes to the local Hi-Fi store, Alma's. There was a salesman in the store that could have easily ran us off. There was little to no chance of us being able to buy anything in that store. Instead he was very gracious and allowed us to experience high end audio that was well past our means. We were unabashed Rush fans and he would pop in the "Moving Pictures" CD for us in the "big" room. All the highest cost gear was in this room. He would turn up the volume reasonably high and as he was closing the big glass sliding door, grin and say "enjoy!" This actually fostered our appreciation for the technology that is Audiophile. This was not a one off event, we would go in there weekly during the summer. Again, he could have easily tired of this and told is to srcamm, but he never did. The other Audiophile retailer, The Gramaphone, has absolutely no tolerance for us and shoo us away promptly. Thanks to the dude at Alma's my friend and I developed an appreciation for high end audio and still love it to this day. Flash forward to adulthood. Living in St Louis area and I happened into one of the high end retailers and was summarily ignored in spite of having much deeper pockets now. So I left. I visited the other store " Music for Pleasure" and was greeted immediately and with respect and a real desire to establish my needs and budget. They did an excellent job of assessing both and they helped me load up the $10k I just spent in their store. 
@danvignau - good reminder that B&M businesses are just that, businesses, and that the owner and sales people who work there need to make sales to earn their living.  I had two friends that sold stereo equipment and when I started purchasing direct from manufacturers and used on-line, I quit going to their stores.  We are still friends but I didn't want to waste their time. 
@danvignau Appreciate your point and perspective. It's very important that we all consider one another's position; I always remember that the salesperson is, well, a person who needs to make a living. I try to be up front about my intentions, and I always assure them I am not just using their store so I can go buy online.  That helps, sometimes, but not always.
@tomic601 Thanks for the kind words.
@firebird66 Love that story. The way we deal with the next generation is so crucial to who they turn out to be. After all, those "young kids" will soon enough be our doctors, nurses, business owners, teachers, etc. We will be in their hands (as a generation) soon enough. Mere self interest argues that they're treated with patience and kindness, now.
The ways in which dealers and salesmen turn people off aren’t limited to monetary issues.

I’ve gone into serious stores and pretty much without me asking anything, a salesman has decided that I wanted to hear his theories of audio purity to the point where I had to ask the owner if he could find me a different salesman who was interested in more than the opportunity to spew his theories without listening to see what I was in the market for or if I had any questions.

Assuming that you are a sheep without having any opinions yourself is just as annoying as assuming from your appearance that you don't meet their monetary standards to be a customer.

Have to wonder how people like that can stay in business.