What sound formats do I need?

I'm replacing my processor and I've become confused. I haven't been keeping up with anything in many years. Right now I have 5.1 speakers - center, left and right, sub, and two rears (in the ceiling because the back wall is not optimal). I'm a few years away from creating a 7.2.4 or 11.2 system, if not longer. I would, however, like to take full advantage of the sound formats that are on the few bluray discs I have (all at least 3 years old) and whatever is being broadcast by verizon fios, amazon prime, and netflix (or whatever is likely to be in the near future). So I don't need Atmos, right? But what are the state of the art formats out there that I can take advantage of with my current speakers? Thanks all. -Dave
dbw1
DTS:X and Dolby Atmos are the most you'll need.

The previou gen was DTS:Master Audio and Dolby Digital: TrueHD.

Thank you. I'm thinking I don't need Atmos, because I don't have overhead speakers, right? Which sounds formats are relevant for the 5.1 setup I do have? Thanks.
Dolby Atmos and DTS:X are new formats that allow for deciding on height / ceiling speakers.  They also don't necessarily have to be ceiling speakers.  They can also be mounted above your main speakers in the front top corners for left/right height.  The configuration is adjustable. 

Also, if you have a bluray that is Atmos or DTS:X, you can still play it through a normal HT processor.  Both of these formats are backward compatable on systems that only support DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD.

If you know that you are only going to have a 5.1 or 7.1 system, then you don't necessarily need a modern processor.  However, if you think you might add more speakers in the future, it's better to get a Atmos/DTS:X processor now.