Two Turntables? Why

OK, been thinking about this for a bit.  Why do people own two turntables?  OK, I understand some traditional uses for a 2nd turntable.  One that is just for 78's, for example.  You may be on a journey to a set up you really enjoy listening to.  You may have even gone the route of an external power supply, isolators, base, phono PreAmp.  All of the accouterments you enjoy because, well, you enjoy records.  But if you are enjoying your LPs and you have purchased a turntable, cartridge and potentially a tonearm that you really enjoy, why do you need a 2nd turntable?  

If you go through all that effort and fun to get to a sound and system that makes you happy, and many of us have, why do it for two or more turntables.  You got a good one, why do you need a 2nd?  Maybe you play all your old LPs from High School on one standard turntable and play all your MoFi and QRP copies on the better machine.  I don't know. 

So, those of you who own more than one turntable, please let me know why you have more than one.  Let me know your thinking.  I'm curious.

Thanks 
pgaulke60
Like my hero Art Dudley, I wanted the two most iconic vintage tt's of all time, the TD124 and the 301. Both of mine are maxed out in terms of both restoration and performance upgrades. It just so happens that my TD124 was purchased the year I was born by my dad and has therefore always been in my family. I grew up with it. And my 301 is one of the most desirable by collectors-an early grease bearing rimless that was found in nearly NOS condition. Granted, the performance upgrades I chose meant the original grease bearing was replaced by a modern all-brass bearing but just the same, the deck is gorgeous to those that know what they are looking at. And unlike modern decks, vintage decks allow for custom plinths that add to the beauty and satisfaction of having something that only a true artisan can craft. 
So that is why I have two decks, each on either side of my equipment rack sitting on their own Symposium Foundations. As Greg Metz told me-and he is right-there are some records that sound best on one and others that sound best on the other. That phenomenon adds to the fun. 
Thanks for all the contributions.  

@tom6897 Why do I ask?  I have what I consider a good moving coil turntable & cartridge.  Together they are over &10K.  I know, I know, price isn't everything, but it sounds sweet to me.  But I am going through playing my all LPs (A-Z), that I have been collecting for 40+ years and some are not in great shape.  I like many here I cringe at using my $5K cartridge on an LP that saw weekly use in High School.  I have not dared to play any of my 78s on it either.  So, I have been contemplating a new 2nd turntable.  One that plays my 78's and other less audiophile quality stuff.  The thought of two tone arms interests me.

So, many questions floating around in my head.  Should I get good MM turntable to play the less pristine LPs?  If so, which one?  Should I get a turntable with two arms so that I can play 78's on a well paired cartridge?  I dunno.  Should I just stick with what I have because I am happy with what I am listening to now?  

But, thanks again. 

@millercarbon If turntables are like women, I'll stick with one.  Was married for 30 years, until death did us part.  That was plenty for me. But maybe old age, wisdom and a 2nd turntable may change my way of thinking. 

My idea of second turntable was always use of mono cartridge.

If records are washed well it doesn't matter what happened with them before. 
I like many here I cringe at using my $5K cartridge on an LP that saw weekly use in High School. I have not dared to play any of my 78s on it either. So, I have been contemplating a new 2nd turntable. One that plays my 78’s and other less audiophile quality stuff. The thought of two tone arms interests me.

Simply look for SP10R or earlier SP-10mk III or cheaper SP-10 mkII they are all designed for use with 33/45/78 records.

The SL1200G also play 78rpm.

Should I get good MM turntable to play the less pristine LPs? If so, which one? Should I get a turntable with two arms so that I can play 78’s on a well paired cartridge?

Definitely, and with really good MM under $1k from the golden era you will be surprised comparing it to your $5k MC :)) Read this.

Without breaking the bank you can find a decent MM with spare styli for Stereo, different era of Mono, and 78 rpm (Pickering and Stanton made all kind of styli for their MM cartridges). 

You can play 78 on Technics with MM cartridges, all you need is heavier headshell and stylus designed for 78 rpm.

If you want to be purist you can buy heavy tonearm like FR-64s and special mono cartridge for 78 rpm like Miyajima.

Technics SP-10r (or SP-10 mkIII, mkII) can be used with two tonearms, but tonearm must be at least "10.5 inch or longer (avoid "9 inch tonearms for this drive because of the short mounting distance).

Post removed