is the sound of vinyl due to the physical process of the turntable?

Same here. I do not own a turntable, however, if the sound of vinyl comes from the physical act of the record on the turntable why can't I transfer digital audio or at least emulate that process to digitally recreate that sound? I remember back in the 1970's you had 45rpm records on the back of cereal boxes and they were not vinyl, however they sounded good why can't I do that myself?
guitarsam
Post removed 
uber, some people will buy things you don't even have a Name for....;)

Analog vs. digital....we're approaching a point where the difference will only be noticed if you're standing and Watching the process....and, even then, you'd best verify what cables are going where....

'Ell, even my phone has a setting in the Sound file where it claims to duplicate 'tube sound reproduction'....and gets close.

(Yes, I know the difference....born pre-digital, pre-SS...I can only wish I was 'born yesterday'....and you'd be in trouble anyway....*L*)

"Silly audiophiles.....Tricks are for kicks!" 

"Right 'bout now....the funk's so rubber...." (FBS)
Another important point is that if I make a digital file of the playback of a vinyl album I get an exact copy of the ethereal sound. The digital now sounds like vinyl. In 192/24 you can not tell the difference between the actual vinyl and the digital file of the vinyl whereas it is easy to tell the difference between actual vinyl playback and fully digital playback.

absolutely disagree. the high rez digital rip of the vinyl cannot match the actual vinyl. it is easy to hear the difference.

i have 1000 high rez needle drops of my vinyl. these are 2xdsd. 100% of them it’s trivial to hear the difference. i have plenty of high rez PCM rips too of my vinyl, but not as many as the 2xdsd rips.

i listen daily to these files and the vinyl, for the last 10 years.

my digital playback is top level and i love it. mostly listen to it.

but it’s not and never will be vinyl. period.
A turntable introduces rumble and wow.  Rumble is the noise from the turntable and wow is the change in speed from the needle being dragged through the record groove.
Whereas digital is digital, not much too talk about. 

You're wrong there.  There are many flavors of digital to enjoy and digital sound quality is progressing steadily.  All vinyl does not sound better than all digital, either.  Good digital can sound as good as good vinyl.  If anyone prefers the sound of vinyl, though, that's fine with me.  We all like what we like (see Geoff).

I find the area where the greatest improvement can be made is in recording quality.  So many albums are just not recorded very well.