Harbeth Super HL5 plus Break-in

The following is an excerpt from the Harbeth User Guide:

"After exercising your new Harbeths for just a few hours they will be fully ready for a lifetime of enjoyment".

After going to the Harbeth site it pretty much said the same thing as the user guide but added that the supertweeter would take a little longer to break-in.
My new Harbeth's sounded the same after I put on around the first 100 hours so I believed the above until around the 120-150 hour mark I noticed (or so I think) the midrange sounding more realistic to the point of more enjoyment! I don't know if I'm actually hearing an improvement or I'm just getting used to the Harbeth sound since the 5's are my first experience with Harbeth in my listening room.

I would like to hear others that have owned or still own the Super 5's and whether or not you have experienced the same thing as me or something else.
routeman21
I didn't notice the stands being used. 

Open stands are often recommended for Harbeths (although not in their user guide) because the cabinet contributes to the sound, or at least that seems to be the overwhelming consensus based on what I've read and heard from other owners.

When I first got mine, I was given some loaner stands while my custom stands were being built that were about the same height as yours, which put the tweeter a bit above my ears in my listening position.  My stands are about 12" tall and put the tweeter right at about ear level.  Having them at that height definitely improved my listening experience.

These are the stands I use.

https://www.gigharboraudio.com/gha-custom-speaker-stands

@ routeman21

Lucky for me, I currently have plenty of space to store all my crap 😀

Martin Logan Monti’s

Harbeth Super HL5 Plus

Epos M16i

JBL L200 t3’s

Boston Acoustic T1000 

IMF TLS 50 Mk 2

I’m partial to the electrostat’s. Best sound for the money are the Epos M16i. 

@routeman21  My SHL5+ 40ths arrived last week. So I have about 25 hours of break in on them.
As I posted on the Harbeth user group forum: 

Hi, I am a newly accepted member to this forum.

This particular thread has held my interest as I have just ordered the SHL5+ 40th.

These will be my first Harbeth speakers.

I am now aware of the reasons why Alan Shaw focuses on the human voice in achieving the outstanding results evident in all Harbeth speakers.

Prior to knowing this, my decision to purchase Harbeth speakers was primarily based on listening to piano music (classical, jazz and some rock music).

I have been a classical piano student for most of my life and have had the opportunity to grow up with multiple pianos (all 5 of my family also study piano).

I am not a professional pianist (far from it!) but feel intimately familiar with "coloration" characteristic of different piano configurations (Spinet, upright, grand) and also among certain different brands.

With the exception of Magnepans, every speaker I listened to added to/masked/altered the natural coloration of the piano. This was more evident with basic chords, and notes on the upper and lower registers (2 + octaves north or south of middle C).

Listening first to the P3ESR, then to an older pair of SHL5s convinced me I did not need to give up any dynamics by limiting myself to planar speakers.

I have not listened to the Harbeths and Magnepans in any A/B testing. Didn't need to.
Like a botanist scrutinizing a new variant of flora, I listened for the familiar (to me) box speaker induced piano coloration.
Instead, I actually heard the piano like I did with Magnepans.
Additionally, I actually felt the piano unlike I did with Magnepans.

I guess one doesn't really know what one is missing until it is experienced elsewhere.

After about 30 minutes listening to each of the Harbeths, I knew that in another 30 minutes, hours or even days I would still find no trace of said coloration.

So I ask my first question on this forum.

Mr. Shaw, given the extreme frequency range of the piano, along with its ability for simple and complex chord combinations, sustain and sostenuto capabilities, and the fact that a piano relies on it's own "box" for acoustical properties (subject to similar room treatment considerations as speakers), I am curious if you have done so, or have perhaps considered sampling piano sound (along with human voice) characteristics in your acoustical design and testing process?

It's what sold me on your Harbeth brand. The fact that vocal reproduction of your speakers ranks among the best out there is more than icing on the cake for me!

Thanks,
Hans

Sorry for the lengthy post!
Hope this is helpful to you.
I just thought I'd share with you and other potential Harbeth  owners my personal experience that led me to purchase the SHL5+ 40ths.
stands are important for best sound.  i use open frame high mass rigid 4 post sound anchors.  
on another forum there is a survey about which instrument your speakers reproduce best.  i said piano, the shl5+ and my previous harbeth reproduce piano extremely well, best i have heard.  i agree with you @hleeid
If you want BEST sound for Harbeth's use TON TRAGER and not Sound Anchors.  You get what you pay for.