Buy a new CD transport?

CD playing Luddite here with the question being if I should buy a new CD transport.
i currently have a Sony 608ESD which I have owned since new and still works perfectly.
i use it as a transport only with the digital out going into a Benchmark DAC3 and a Benchmark amp with Vandersteen 3’s upgraded to Signature. The Sony and CD’s are used for 97.5% of my listening.
Will I by buying a newer transport find an upgrade in sound or does using the digital out and bypassing ( at least that’s my understanding) any electronics that can affect the sound negate a newer transport sounding better?
Thinking of an Audiolab 6000DT as it fits into my possible budget.
Happy with my current sound quality, really like the Sony features as it is easy to program specific tracks etc but just wondering if there is an upgrade in sound available.
fyi. Not an over thinker or into tweaks and finite chasing of sound. Listen everyday and really enjoy quality sound but not wanting to obsess. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

zimick
you can buy the Audiolab on ebay from an authorized dealer with free return, so try one...nothing to lose, potentially lots to gain...my guess is that no one here has comapred the Audiolab vs the Sony, running into the Benchmark...while there is no agreement in these forums, many believe the transport can make a big difference...
jl35,
been tempted to do that but wanted some input first to see if it might even matter.
Lots of transports out there that cost a lot more that only have digital out so you might be right that there is something to gain.
Laughing at myself as it always seems there is some sort of rabbit hole to fall into chasing “ better”.
If it still works, and you're happy with how it sounds, I'd leave it. 

I have a Naim nDAC, with a Teddy Pardo XPS power supply, and it's easy to tell the difference from transport to transport.  I use an Exposure 3010S2 CD player as the transport, and you can tell it's quite a bit better than the cheap Sony DVD player I have, and that it's not as good as a CEC TL3 (I think it was a TL3!). 

I've also tried a Cambridge CXC, which was quite good, and an Audiolab 6000CDT, which was also quite good.  Neither were as good as the Exposure - but then, the Exposure was something like $2395 new. 

So if you want to try one, I'd say the Audiolab would be a great place to start.  And there is always a rabbit hole to dive into!
Would Bluesound Vault 2i work? It rips CDs, streams and has storage
capabilities.
How does that option sound?
I used to own the first gen Muse  CD transport which I love  but had to replace it when the drawer started to make funny noise when opening it . I did replace it with Raysonic Vacuum CD transport.  I chose it over the newer Muse due to its top loading features.  I can't tell the difference as I run it thru my Benchmark DAC.

imThorek