TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45
Bob,
By all mean, I am the one got the a TRL DV-9500 that got damaged by FedEx during shipment. I like much of what I heard on TRL 9500. That's why I haunt down an used SA-14 and it will be going to TRL directly for mod. :) I am looking forward to seeing how it will perform in my rig.

For all TRL SA-14 users, which vibration-dampening/draining devices are you using with your player? Due to SA-14's off-center transport design, I assume it would be more prone to (2-D, x-y)horizontal vibration. A couple reports I have read seem to support this theory as well. I suspect Symposium Roller Blocks-like devices should have good impact on SA-14. Comments?
Bob.

You'll be happy you did. Think about it - If you can get your money back on the mod, and you can resell the Modded unit for what you paid - where will you lose?

What will you gain? A digital player whose sound pulls you in. Whose sound seduces you, and invites you to stay up late, loosing sleep, relistening to your music collection. You'll be smiling - shaking your head thinking 'I can't believe I was so worried about this.'
All this for $1750. AND Another big factor is the way the TRL guys will treat you - like you spent a million dollars with them.

I can't immagine NOT liking the TRL SA-14.

Of course all of this is my OPINION :-)

good luck - be brave - you only live once. :-)

paul
As you guys recall I posted my impressions of how different power cords sounded with my TRL SA14 and on my preamp.

Here's an update. I did not mention before but I have bybee filters at the analog outputs of my preamp. Before, with the bybee filters, I noticed that the CRL Silver series power cord gave the the TRL SA14 extended highs and deep tight bass but was somewhat bright.

A few days ago I removed the inline bybees.... Funny, I barely heard a difference with or without the bybees before with my old source... but now with the TRL SA14... bass extension became a bit less and a bit less tight and there was a bit lesss treble extension but... the midrange now seemed fuller and more natural and the high end was less bright! All in all, though, a more natural and musical presentation that got me about 70% to where I would ideally want to be. I love it when taking something out of my system does the trick! ;-) Over x'mas I will send the SA14 back to TRL for the "free" upgrade (mine was one of the early SA14s modified and the mod has changed since then), which is supposed to further flesh out the midrange and improve dynamics. With that done then perhaps my system will sound perfect.
I bought the SA-14 yesterday and even stock it trounced the Rotel 1072. There was just so much more music there. I plan to use the stock unit over the weekend and then send it in to TRL early next week. Thanks for the support guys! Bob
I have had my unit modded now for about 6 weeks. Yes without a doubt for now this unit does everything right. Talk about a true reference component,this is it. "At Last" as Etta James would whale, finally the journey is over at last. Kudo's to the master and his team of fine gentlemen. Thanks Paul, and you're the greatest!