TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45
Oldpet, is your SA-14 a version 1 or 2. I am waiting for the SA-11 but there is a delay. There are no ver 2's currently on A-gon. The seller of the v 1 has not returned my e-mails. Anyway, you did not hear your SA-14 before the TRL mods so it's hard to judge from your posts what improvements were made. Could you take a look inside for us. Any parts changed?, or just the "epoxy" treatments...
Thanks
Reb1208
I didn't hear the stock unit. But, the guys at TRL thought they were "thin and digital sounding". Mine is a version 1. All I know, is I like what I hear, and it would take ALOT to get me to put this one up for sale.

I saw this version 2 on Agon today:
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1119556532

There is also an SA-11 for sale too.

I'll look inside at some point. The case doesn't have traditional 'screws" holding the lid on. It has very tiny alan type screws. I'm not even sure if i have an alan key small enough to fit. But, I'll see what I can do for the good of the cause. :-)

No he was talking about the stock version only. At the time I was interested in the TRL SA-11 but I am getting spoiled fast with the 5-disc changer.
Reb 1208

I have a friend selling his SA-14 version 2. Email me and I will get you his number. By the way Oldpet you are right on the money my friend. My Sony 2000es at 74 hours just BUSTED OUT! All sorts of delicious air at the top sprinkled with deep rich bass and a dash of PRAT to keep me up late. This is the real thing for those who are not sure about the TRL mod.

If I was doing this mod I might be charging a whole lot more since this easily sounds much more like music and I might add forget about vinyl. Put on a SACD and start selling your record collection. The Full Image preamp and Sony 2000es is a bang for buck killer combination too.

Are you kidding me oldpet that there is more changes on the horizon? I am loving every minute. Audio is so much fun right now. Thanks Paul and thanks LKDog and others for spreading the news.
Paul told me that the SA14 v1 and v2 will sound the same after mods. So, save your $$ and get the v1. The SA11 will sound a bit better than the SA14 (both after mods).. whether or not it is worth a significant difference in the price of the stock player is a personal decision.

My SA14 v1 was shipped at the end of last week and is now on its way to Paul/TRL... can't wait!