TRL Marantz Sa-14

After speaking to Paul at TRL I am very curious to hear from those who own this unit what improvements do you hear with the player before and after the mod.

The SA-14 sounds weak in the bass and has no dynamics in comparison to some players like the Sony Scd-1 in stock form. Has anyone compared the TRL Sa-14 to the Sony Scd-1?
la45
LA45,

Did the guy in TW think the stock or TRL SA11 had a lean character?

Thanks.
Hi Gang
Just passed the 110 hr mark. This machine (SA-14) is really taking on a smooth character that is beautiful to hear.
The presence and detail are still here but now all the areas of the sonic field are coming together. Bass is becoming visceral with EXTREME extension. I love that! Highs and mids are crystal clear. Vocals are right in front of you. The stage is getting much bigger and immages are becoming much more defined.
This machine is not shy about putting out sound either! I almost had to turn my preamp down. I say all this and I realize, how much I thought of this machine at 72 hrs! It's hard to think of it getting much better. I'm sure from this point out, the improvements will be incremental. I'm completely sold on the TRL SA-14. Paul and "his guys" got this one right, that's for sure.
Oldpet, is your SA-14 a version 1 or 2. I am waiting for the SA-11 but there is a delay. There are no ver 2's currently on A-gon. The seller of the v 1 has not returned my e-mails. Anyway, you did not hear your SA-14 before the TRL mods so it's hard to judge from your posts what improvements were made. Could you take a look inside for us. Any parts changed?, or just the "epoxy" treatments...
Thanks
Reb1208
I didn't hear the stock unit. But, the guys at TRL thought they were "thin and digital sounding". Mine is a version 1. All I know, is I like what I hear, and it would take ALOT to get me to put this one up for sale.

I saw this version 2 on Agon today:
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1119556532

There is also an SA-11 for sale too.

I'll look inside at some point. The case doesn't have traditional 'screws" holding the lid on. It has very tiny alan type screws. I'm not even sure if i have an alan key small enough to fit. But, I'll see what I can do for the good of the cause. :-)

No he was talking about the stock version only. At the time I was interested in the TRL SA-11 but I am getting spoiled fast with the 5-disc changer.