Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Hi jj901. Thanks for the kind words. This thread actually got me a job as a professional reviewer. I now review for Enjoy The Music on line and for The Absolute Sound. I felt that continuing on this thread would be a conflict of interest. So I retired from it. I have no problem with others using it though.
Hi Everyone.

Benjamin here from Mojo Audio to let you know about our new Mystique EVO D/A converter:
https://www.mojo-audio.com/mystique-evo-d-a-converter/
Currently we have quite a few months of back orders, but once we catch up, I’ll be sending one to Matt for review.
The short answer is the entry-level EVO is the next evolution of our award-winning Mystique v3 DAC.

Among some of the standard upgrades we’ve done, our new EVO has a better USB input with the latest XMOS chip, a better analog output stage with Sparkos Labs new SS2590 pro audio discrete op amps, an improved power supply with 16X Belleson SPX regulators, better shielding and anti-resonance, an XLR/AES balanced S/PDIF input with optional Lundahl amorphous core input transformer upgrade, and even optional Lundahl ferrous and amorphous core power supply choke upgrades.
The Lundahl amorphous core power supply choke upgrade in the analog section sounds beyond beyond.

Unlike most companies who use the term "EVO" with their products, our new Mystique has the ability to upgrade the entry-level version to our most advanced version.

Wouldn’t it be nice to know you have an upgrade and update path engineered into your next DAC?

Plus we’re planning on new digital input stages, new analog output stages, and even some pretty rare vintage R-2R DAC chip upgrades. I’ve been stocking up on the ultra-rare PCM63P-K2 and PCM63-Y chips that we’ll be releasing with one of our next D/A board upgrades.
And as with all Mojo Audio products, our new Mystique EVO comes with a 45-day no-risk audition. All you have to lose is your misconceptions :^)
.I wanted to let folks know that Matt is writing for TAS and another pub (sorry Matt, I forgot which one).  For those who talk to him and know him, he's a great writer and very thorough in his reviews.  I'm blessed to have found this thread years ago as we've become very good friends and I never would have known about Empirical Audio and Steve, who I also consider a good acquaintance.  I found out about other smaller digital companies who push the boundaries.  Lot's of great new digital gear has been found by many, because of this wonderful thread.

Heck, Matt even talked me into the The Memory Player by Laufer.  Sam even built a DAC into mine and it's world class.  

I'm sure Matt will let me know when he gets your Mojo in his set up.  I'm sure it will sound great like so many of the newer DAC's do.  This is still my favorite thread on the boards.

One of the most watched threads fizzled out? Wth?

They the "clan" here were doggedly stuck on their views of what sounded best for RedBook CD, which they thought was DS (delta sigma) based units, and they tried every new unit that came along.

I mentioned to them that R2R Ladder was the future for PCM Redbook, but couldn't shift them off DS conversion.

I tried to get them to take on board the new class of R2R Ladder dac units, especially the latest breed of "Discrete" R2R ones, but I was shot down time I mentioned it. In the end I just gave up.
The old adage, "time will tell".

Cheers George