Direct Drive vs. Idler Drive vs. Belt drive

I'd like to know your thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of each drive system. I can see that direct drive is more in vogue over the last few years but is it superior to the other drive systems? I've had first-hand experiences with two out of the three drive systems but looking to learn more.
scar972
@larryi , I installed that New Way thrust bushing on a platter board which is isolated from the motor. Technology is belt drive - as others have noted, anyone can build a belt drive in his workshop. 
Alas, I could not find a low power, ultra-low-noise motor with air bearings, and I have not got around to replacing the sleeve bearings with air. It’s pretty fiddly!

But those sleeves are a problem. This is demonstrable by removing the belt and manually bringing the platter to speed. The latter sounds more refined, less high frequency hash. When the belt is restored, hash returns. When the motor is turned on, nothing changes. Hence it is the motor’s sleeve bearings to blame, not cogging or other electro-mechanical effects.

This is a little surprising, given the platter's mass, about 45 kg.
Thanks, that is what I thought.  The motor then has the same issue with noise/friction, albeit attenuated by the isolation provided by the belt.  The New Way bushing looks like it provides effective isolation of the shaft from the bore in the bushing itself, but, does it, or something else provide for levitation of the platter (no thrust bearing at the bottom of the shaft)? 

Also, what do you use to pressurize the bearing?

I applaud DIY efforts to to build something new, or improve upon an existing design.  
What New Way calls a thrust bushing provides an air cushion in 3 dimensions, i.e. the thrust bushing provides levitation as well.

I use an Italian compressor from Silentaire, oil technology, and heroic filtration. I'm thinking of upgrading to Juno, but so many calls on less money these days.