3.1 or 2.1 Home Theater setup for desktop

So I am trying to setup my own hifi 3.1 setup (left,right,center,sub) and I was wondering how I should go about this. I have been trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can in doing this endeavor on my own, but I am left with so many questions and I would love to hear from others on their recommendations.

Now for the build I am running off a near $1000 budget and wouldn't mind it being cheaper than $500, but can work up to $1000. From what I have been reading, I think I would like to incorporate a tube amp instead of SS if possible, but it's not a requirement. I want the center speakers and the left and right speakers to hopefully not be too big as it needs to fit on a standard sized desk. Not that it needs to be stated, but high quality listening experience when at the desk is what I am aiming for. It'd be for everything (Music/TV/Gaming/Youtube Videos) I would love to hear everyone's suggestions.  

Also the center channel can be optional if that helps.
thatcdac
What you do and the way you go about it depends entirely on what kind of results are most important to you. If what you really care about is quality then the most important thing to know by far is you can have good, or you can have many, but you cannot have it both ways. 

Your $500 will buy you five $100 speakers, or two $250 speakers. Now which do you suppose will sound better? Two quality speakers will kick butt on any number of cheap ones every single time. 

Here's another one to keep in mind. The easiest thing in the world is to create a solid center image. You can do it with literally any two speakers. Heck I have even demonstrated it to people with walkie talkies. But hey don't take my word for it. Put two speakers on a desk at equal distance and hear for yourself. So you are right to consider the center optional. Cross it off the list. 

Same goes by the way for the sub. Which let's face it, its not even a sub. Sub is short for sub-woofer. Below the woofer. You're talking desktop. Desktop speakers do not even have a woofer to begin with! 

So put all your money into the two best speakers you can find. Forget desktop. Bookshelf. Now you're talking. There are some really seriously good bookshelf speakers out there for $500 to $1k. Buy or make some little stands to hold them at ear level a little above the desk, and if there's anything left over for some good wire do that, and be surprised how good it sounds. 

Whatever you do make sure the speakers you select are very efficient and easy to drive. You're smart to go with a small tube amp. But it can be hard to find a decent tube amp in your budget. You might- might!- be able to get better results with the whole budget going into the best most efficient and easy to drive pair of speakers you can find, and drive them right off the computer. Or whatever it is.  

If your plans include upgrades then for sure I think that is the way to start. Best speakers you can find, then take your time and add a tube amp when you can find- and afford- the right one. Then add some decent wire and you would have one helluva fine desktop system!
If you really want a center channel, probably the easiest way to do this is get one of the higher end multi-channel sound cards, such as one of these:

Asus STRIX RAID DLX
Creative Sound Blaster Z
Creative Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
etc.

Then you'd have to find 3 channels of tube amp and 3 speakers, plus a power sub.  The 3 channel solution is a lot more complicated.  Of course, you can get a 5.1 channel computer speaker system.  Logitech offers several options.

The 2 channel route will get you better sound quality.  You can start with a high end 2-channel sound card such as Asus Xonar Essence STX II or EVGA NU.   Or you can look for an external USB DAC.  You'd have to get a power sub and then look for either powered monitor speakers or speakers+amp.

$1,000 is not going to get you very far here, unless you go on the cheap.
I should mention that it's meant to be on a desktop, but the speakers don't need to be desktop speakers, rather I expected to go the way of bookshelf speakers. I just want that sub for good low end sound, also I know a decent amount of setups tend to use the sub as a sort of crossover/filter (still not sure on the correct terminology) as it picks what freq's stay and which go out to the left and right channels.
If you really want a center channel, probably the easiest way to do this is get one of the higher end multi-channel sound cards, such as one of these:

I'd prefer to avoid any internal components on my computer as their very well might be issues with space/open slots as well as compatibility with Linux as I go between using linux and windows.