Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
Unsound - the SCSs seem fairly invisible here. My slight experience might help a little. The SCS is essentially a grown-up O2 - 6.5" ported two-way with polarity correct second order crossovers. They produce a decent step response and frequency response and can handle more power more easily than first order XOs. The SCS designation began with Thiel's first coincident / concentric driver in 1989. The specs and general performance of any generation will be similar with more modern iterations having more serious driver technologies and improved port loading, with more sophisticated performance.
I have 3 pair of O2s and a single SCS4. Side by side, the SCS4 has greater detail and nuance, but its overall  musical impression is fairly similar to the O2 from 1976. As models progressed, the ports migrated from single to dual to rounded outlet to flared horn outlet which gradually reduced port air velocity and chuffing, creating better room coupling.

The ear-brain does an interesting thing with the fundamental frequencies. Any distortion there serves to slur the upper harmonics - the auditory brain interprets all sound from the bottom up. I am working with a very exciting technology, modeled on shark skin, that organizes the wave launch from the port, thereby cleaning up the entire spectrum to an unexpected degree. Not ready to show, but will upgrade any ported speaker, including Thiel O2, O4, SCS (all), CS1, 1.2, 1.6 and CS2. Stay tuned.

FYI: I picked up a single SCS4 for a couple hundred bucks and looking for another one to make a pair.
@tomthiel, Thanks! Looking to help a dear friend set up a system in a rather problematic room.
@vair68robert Thanks for posting pics of your CS2.7 crossovers. Fascinating to see that compared to my FST (China)-sourced boards that were OEM in my CS2.4SE. Yours are point-to-point on Masonite compared to my PCB (@tomthiel says PTP was the Thiel protocol for most of the company's history). Also, your parts quality is definitely higher than my OEM boards. Other than the excellent Clarity SAs on the coax feeds, I had CYC MKT (polyester!) caps, loosely wound coils, and unlabeled resistors. But I was probably most surprised to see that multi-strand hookup wire on your boards (reminds me of what I used for speaker cabling when I had a mid-fi system). My OEM hookup wire was solid core (18 ga) the + and - wound to 3 twists per inch. Tom told me that was the Thiel standard. Your boards seem to be a quasi Frankenstein of classic and new Thiel (mostly in a good way!). I wonder if yours are typical of all CS2.7.

But my Tom Thiel-designed boards are a whole 'nuther level! If you're inclined, you might play with upgrading the parts quality on your boards. An easy and affordable place to start is to replace those sandcast resistors with Mills MRAs. I replaced all of my resistors for about $100 - that was my first upgrade before the full rebuild.

@beetlemania
Thank you for the compliment ,.
It was the wiring and my attempt to advise other 2.7 owners about a tweek ( seperating the wires ) that Tom informed me that I own 
FrankenThiel speakers !  

My next project will be to replace the wires , first I would like to
replace/ upgrade and increase awg to the crossover boards .
But it looks like I would have to disassemble the speaker ,
so I would also replace/upgrade the wires to the speakers ,
that is where I am at a crossroad ( with plenty of time to think about it ) ,
to use Cardas 18.5 awg to all the speakers , to increase that to 15.5
or to have 3 different gauges like you've done  .

Resistors might be next , depending on how difficult the wiring project turns out to be .
Mills does not manufacture 25 watt resistors , so only the 10 watt
ones can be replaced by Mills .

I am really suprised to here that you see that the parts quality 
is higher that your OEM  2.4SE !
But very happy about it .
It would be great to be able to see Kentucky crossovers and compare them to my Tennessee crossovers , maybe the only difference are the wires .

Rob