Opinions on the current market

I’ve been reading extensively, trying to narrow down the best option for a tube pre to add to my system. The nature of the hobby is such that I expect to try a few different options, so I’m curious about people’s opinions on the market right now. Figuring I’ll have to resell whatever i try, I’d like to ‘buy right’ now. I’m not by nature an equipment flipper, but there are just too many possible options to expect to get it right first time. Anyone else looking at prices now, with informed opinions of whether the market is good or not for a buyer?
english210
Can’t argue with that, Ralph. Plus with all our extra time, it gives more time to nitpick the system and look for reasons to upgrade:). Having said that, I’m in auto service, so aside from a few extra days off I’ve been working right along....
The simple answer is to "get out and listen" and if possible "try before you buy".

That’s the only way if you want to increase the chance of getting it right the first time.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se (high-end audio consultant)
I agree to a point. It’s impossible to hear everything first, and doubly so to hear everything, in my system, before buying. I’m going to have to take a risk and theoretically, multiple risks. The first piece I buy may improve my SQ, but still not be the ‘right’ answer. I’m looking hard at some older, higher line pieces in the $2K range. Hoping the depreciation is mostly done, and I could recover most of the dollars if needed. 
Spend some time investigating the used market to determine which preamps have stable values and which do not.

Audible Illusions and Audio Research are 2 brands that have great reputations, and hold value over time.

Vintage Marantz 7c or McIntosh C20/C22 also hold value.

If you were to audition one preamp from each of the above, you will likely hear different results from each when added to your system, hopefully allowing you to choose what sounds best to you.  Then the others can be resold for what you paid (or maybe a little more....).    

The big difference of late is there is no place to go to listen to hear before buying. No shops or shows. Not sure what effect of any that has on the market overall but has to be bad for anyone selling new stuff.