Tonearm mount to the plinth vs arm board vs rotating arm board vs isolated tower

Hello,

I am rebuilding a Garrard 301 and looking for a plinth. I am planning to buy 3-4 tonearms to try. I would like to know which is the best way moving forward.

Is there a difference between mounting a tonearm directly on a solid plinth vs arm board (same vs different materials) vs rotating arm board vs isolated tower. 

Thanks
Nanda
kanchi647
Nandric
Those who intend to build an new plinth for their TT's are in different
position from those who want to keep their TT as is.

@nandric 

Nikola
With these old idlers, (Garrard/Lenco's, etc...) like the OP of this thread is considering rebuilding ... everyone I know .......from the past, current, and I presume anyone on this AudioGon site, is not using this turntable type (idler)........ as is.

Buyers initially seek out the motor/platter system.

And....even then...... many folks, as in the case of the Jean Nantais Lenco version I ended up with; have replaced or significantly modified the platter, top plate, put in a new idler wheel, Spindle, thrust pad, bearing, etc.....

The finished tables people discuss on these audio sites bear very little resemblance to the originals.

@fsonicsmith , sorry to offend you. I was merely attempting to contribute to the discussion by suggesting that these desired characteristics could be obtained without (much) compromise, in part by finessing the problem, and partly by choice of materials. On re-reading my post, I realize that I was imprecise. I could cure this, but it might be tedious. Incidentally, baltic birch is a poor substitute for panzerholz. Ask me how I know.

@atmasphere , my imprecision obviously bothered you as well. I was trying to express the idea that an air bearing could be made silent, and so finesse the problem of transmitting platter bearing noise to the tonearm. I agree about a rigid coupling, which is incorporated into the design.
Dear ct, my first dispute in this forum was with Lew and regarding
Lenco platter. I was sceptical about possibilty to make a better one
in someone's garage or cellar. But my point was ''don't mess with
your TT''. His answer was : ''Nandric messing  with TT's is fun''. 
I was ''speechless'' . 
^^^^
It's very easy to mess with a used turntable that cost a couple hundred dollars to acquire.
@terry9; "offend" is not the appropriate word choice here. . 
I simply felt your post was a bit strong and worthy of comment. 
I will never challenge someone's love of their own table no matter how humble it might be. 
But when someone claims that their deck is perfect, my ears perk up. 
You took pains to claim that with the help of three people you had achieved perfection. 
Halcro by the way obviously has far more experience than I do and I have a feeling you quoted him out of context. 
I don't claim to have superior knowledge to anyone here. 
In fact, I know that I have less than many. 
But I do have some opinions that are only worth your 2 sense if you happen to agree with me and I don't mind those that disagree as long as the basis for the disagreement is rational. 
This is a topic that particularly interests me and I have some first-hand experience with it.