New TT for ~$1500

My birthday is coming up and I will be asking for a *new* TT. Budget is up to $1500, but preferably closer to $1k. I would be comfortable pitching in another few hundred $$$ for a good cartridge if I get a table without one. Was thinking:
Rega P3, maybe P6 if I really stretch the budget (that'd be over my $1500 mark)

MoFi StudioDeck
Clearaudio Concept (I have a lead on a lightly used one with low hours, bundled with an Artist V2 cart, but might make gift giving awk)

Pro-Ject X2 w/ Sumiko Moonstone

Any thoughts?

tas236
Not sure what a poster meant by you will "lose" on a belt drive turntable at the $1500 price point...if I were you I would go for either the pro-ject x2 or move up to the new classic Evo @ $1599.

You will lose because those belt drive are inferior turntables and inferior technology in comparison to the brand new Technics SL1200 mk7 or especially the GR Direct Drive models with much better tonearm with VTA on the fly with removable headshell.

Also this is SPEED STABLE turntables, belt drive are not.

Those small companies like Pro-Ject or Rega simply can’t compete with Japanese GIANT like Matsushita, the reason Technics price is not twice as much is because they are making millions of units.

Even NEUMANN cutting lathe comes with Technics Direct Drive motor SP-02
THIS IS HOW OUR RECORDS ARE MADE, this is real deal, not mass market toys. 
Look at the catalog posted by jpjones

So we’re comparing apples to oranges here.

Those belt drive might be OK for $500, but for $1500 is a joke!

Technics SL1200GR for $1700 NEW is one of the best new DD available on the market and it’s a champion in this price for sure. Tonearm is very nice for the money.

At one point in my journey I went from a Linn LP12 w/ Keith Monks TA and Sonus Blue label to a Techics SP12 in the rubber plinth they made for it, paired with Audio Technica's best arm and cartridge (Signet TK9MLa or something).  I was totally disappointed in the flat, mechanical sound, and within a year had a SOTA Sapphire w/ Sumiko FT3 arm and Dynavector Ruby Karat...aahhh that's more like it!  Never DD again.  I next movet to a Well Tempered TT/TA and that's what I still have...30+ years later, with no regrets.  There is this:  https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649611502-well-tempered-lab-amadeus-gta-dps-herbies-mat/
This is no doubt better than what I have, and it's price, while above your stated budget, seems worth the stretch for what could well prove to be your last turntable buy...think of it...no further "upgrading"!
Don't know enough to suggest a cartridge, but options abound.  I use a vintage Grace F9 Ruby with great pleasure.
My comments are based on my ownership of the Clearaudio Emotion, which by all accounts is basically the same as the Marantz TT-15S1 with a different plinth and feet.  Some things to consider.  There's no dust cover.  That may or may not be an issue.  There are aftermarket ones, but they are basically a big acrylic box and will add another $200 - $300 to the cost.  The Virtuoso cartridge is very good for a MM.  Clearaudio's cantilevers stick way out in front of the cartridge body and are easy to snap off (ask me how I know).  The motor on my Emotion had a tendency to wobble around and was hard to position so that it didn't touch the plinth.  There is a second (optional) ground wire on the bottom of the platter, that is kind of a PIA to get connected and keep in place.  I ended up taping mine to the bottom of the platter to keep it from coming loose.  A replacement belt is $50.  The anti-skate control is a screw on the back of the tonearm assembly and a little fiddly.  These come up on the used market quite often and you can typically find them at a little over 50% of retail.  Not trying to talk you out of it, but some things to consider.  It's a nice table and has a good tonearm for the price and is attractive.
Techics SP12 in the rubber plinth they made for it... I was totally disappointed in the flat, mechanical sound ...

Not sure why you mentioned this very old (SP12) entry level cheap model of Technics here ? This is probably a $100 turntable.

And what is a rubber plinth ?
Even in the 70’s their top model plinth was Obsidian, not rubber.

The best vintage technics is SP-10 mkII and SP-10 mk III.

BUT We’re talking about brand NEW Technics with completely different next generation modern DD motors, they are the best DD motors available today. You will find more about Technics reference class DD motor here.

The affordable version is SL1200GR for $1700 or SL1200G for $4000
Interesting takes everyone. You guys are starting to make me look more seriously at a Technics. Either they have the best, most subversive marketing department ever (better than even MoFi) or Technics is the real deal. I lean toward the latter.

I’ve also added the Marantz and VPI HW-19 to my list for consideration. I am sure any of these three would be a HUGE step up for me sonically.
Anyone have reasonable (<$500) cartridge recs for the Technics or VPI tables? I’d get the Marantz with the Virtuoso as it is such a screaming deal.