Unreal prices

Watching a YouTube video about receiver wars of 1970 piqued my interest so I checked eBay.

Pioneer SX-1950 going for $5000 plus.

My lowly SX-1050 going for $1700.

Those prices, with deflation to the 70s, are list prices back then.  Kept their value. 😀
128x128ibmjunkman
Open your eyes, this is perfectly normal. Yet for some reason everywhere I go its always the same. The people who should know the most turn out to be the most oblivious. So let me explain it to you.

Its not that the receivers or whatever are so great. Its simply that they have endured. Whatever lasts and is kept in good condition, it hardly matters what it is, its value will increase over time.

A customer came into the shop one day with a snuff box. Ordinary run of the mill snuff box. Except it was a couple hundred years old. Appraised mega.

Guys into Porsches, try and tell them its not the model or how scarce or special. No matter what it is price depreciates for about 15 years, bottoms, and then starts going back up again. My 1979 911SC was $25k new, depreciated to a low of about $10k, now worth at least $30k. Same car.

Had one guy try and argue, went looking to prove me wrong. Went looking for one of the worst cars ever made, Chrysler K-car. Absolute piece of junk. In no time flat found they sell for more now than when new. Unlike certain people here he was man enough to admit he was wrong.

People see value in things able to endure the ravages of time. Its not nuts. Its commendable. 
Being a casualty of those receiver wars (Bought a brand new Pioneer SX-1250 in ‘77 which lasted slightly less than 7 years before giving up the ghost...I don’t think it ever ran much cooler than the tube amp I have now.) I’ve watched those climbing prices with more than a little bit of amusement.  I must say that a friend had an SX-650 that lasted 30 years and I still pine for my old 1250 purely out of nostalgia for the times that it was part-and-parcel of.  
If I could go back in time, I think I’d buy the Sansui 9090 DB though.

if I could go back knowing what I know now, I’d buy the HK Citation separates...
" Pioneer SX-1950 going for $5000 plus." 
I don't think there was ever this model number.

" My lowly SX-1050 going for $1700."
Current eBay sold prices range from $530.00 - $1150.00
SX-1980, Pioneer’s most powerful receiver ever. The SX-1250 is considered my many to be the better model. It might also be good to remember that the prices on these when new were not cheap. The SX-1980 in 1978 sold for $1295. The SX-1250 in 1976 was $900. You could buy a new car then for $3500. It’s just supply and demand, there’s a finite number of these available, and a fair number of folks that can now afford their dream piece that was unaffordable to them back in the day.
L.
A few years ago I plugged my SX-1050 into a current limiting device and fired it up. No smoke. Checked the speaker output for DC. None present. Connected a source and some speakers. Sounded fine. Only problem was the on-off switch was stiff. A little contact cleaner fixed that.

I know the caps should be replaced. I am not up to the task and I don’t know what it will cost to have it done.

Just had my Sony TC-K7 II rehabbed. My Pioneer PL-630 TT is in for repair now. The SX-1050 is the keystone to my ‘Disco Will Live Again’ system. Just don’t want it to hurt my JBL L-222 Disco speakers.