Discussion of Class D Amps Application & Experiences

With all the time off that our current situation has allowed recently, I became intrigued by the idea of class D amplification. I have always been against this type of amplifier but the more I have read the more I have also learned. There are lots of threads here on this subject many of which result in arguments about which amplifier class is better. I do not want to do that here. As I consider a class D amp I need to let you know that I currently use a fairly powerful class A/B SS amp and pre-amp into an efficient pair of speakers rated at 4 ohms. My choice of equipment has always been focused on musicality over absolute detail. I want the music to sound natural and not sterile. I seem to have achieved that sound. If I switched to class D amplification that would also be my intended goal although a bit more refined detail would be fine. I have considered pairing the amp with a tube pre to help achieve my desired sound. So why would I change? My goal would be to save money over my current gear while maintaining my desired sound.

I have researched brands such as Nord, Primare, AGD & Nuprime. I have also looked at brands such as Jeff Rowland & Merrill but those are way out of my price range. My target would be $6000 - $7000 or less. I'm about performance not price. So given that background information I would like to hear from those who have made the leap, what your experience has been (likes and dislikes), what amp did you replace and any comments about one brand over the other. Your experience with demos etc. Do you use a tube or SS line stage?
Thanks
128x128falconquest
So, based on your response would you say this a 10% improvement? 20%? Worth looking at vs. ICE technology over the long term?
OP, be forewarned that class D illicits IMO the strongest views from proponents and opponents of nearly any topic in audio (maybe cables are exception but maybe not - it’s close). There doesn’t seem to be a lot of middle ground - just read the long "Class D is just dandy" thread, and you’ll see.

That said, I am kinda in the middle, I guess. My best amp is a class D (Audio Research DSI200), and I really, really like it. It’s about 10 years old and doesn’t use the preconfigured modules that most modern class D tends to - ARC designed it from scratch, although it didn’t persist or get revved to a new generation.

The more inexpensive class D’s that I’ve owned (Bluesouund Powernode 2) or auditioned (Bel Canto low end integrated cs5i?), I haven’t been as impressed with, as compared to other non-class-D at the pricepoints. Just my opinion.
@falconquest
As a manufacturer of class-D and hybrid class-D amplifiers I suggest that auditioning is important. Buy only what sounds good to you. Many brands use the same OEM boards and power supplies. Some just stuff them in a fancy box and others add tweaks. Some sound very similar and other have their own flavor. Some companies design their own. I suggest looking into all brands within your budget. Some of the expensive units use the same boards as some of the lower priced units. There seems to be a greater emphasis on eye candy than innovation these days.

Typically the shortcomings of class-D amplifiers come from inferior power supplies and a mediocre input stage, not from being class-D. This holds true for many SS amplifiers too.

The input section design can affect the sound quite a bit. For example our hybrid class-D amplifiers and our SS class-D amplifiers share the same power supply and output/power stages. The hybrid has a discrete tube input stage including its own power supply and the SS class-D is all SS. They have similar sound in some ways but are different overall.

Power supplies are very important in all equipment. We use very robust and independent (still in the same box) power supplies that are well shielded. The entire front half of our amplifiers is PS. I suggest not getting caught up in switching PS vs linear PS. They each have their strengths, as long as they are designed properly.
@kren0006 I appreciate the heads up about this topic which is why I requested to not get involved in class warfare! ;-) I would just like to hear about the experience people have had with moving to class D from A, A/B. I did read through the thread you mentioned.....or part of it. I gave up when I no longer found useful information.
@arion Thank you for your insight as well as others who have contributed. The more the merrier so long as it remains informative and civil.
I have had amplifiers from Class D Audio, D-Sonic, Mivera, and Peachtree.  The Mivera was most disappointing.  Total lack of detail and depth.  I popped the top and discovered that there was nothing in the box but the IceEdge board and the on-board power supply.  The D-sonic M3-1200S is an exceptionally fine amp, a real bargain on the price/performance scale.  Like most everything in this addiction, er hobby, it is totally subjective, but the D-Sonic amp is wonderful to my ears, and will drive any complex load without complaint.  The Class D Audio 470C also is a very good performer with very good sound.  Both amps have absolutely no background noise.  There are a lot of excellent, and not so excellent brands out there, but the search is both fun, and enjoyable.  I really don't care about an amp's design topology, class A, AB, or D.  All I go by is how it sounds to my ears.  Good luck in your pursuit.