More Power or use subwoofer to boost bass for music

Hi,   just want to know if anyone can offer their opinions on how to boost the bass when listening to 2 channel music.

I just got a pair of B&W 804 D3 and would like to get more bass out of the speakers.   I remember the bass was pretty punchy when I heard it in the dealer showroom, but I don't seem to get that in my setup.   I currently have Parasound A31 power amp with 250 watts per channel.

So the question is whether I should get a more power amp, or add subwoofer to my 2 channel music.  I'm a little bit of a purist and would prefer not to use a subwoofer for music, but I'm open to this option.

I would definitely appreciate if anyone can share their experience/opinion.   Thanks very much.
128x128xcool
Also IF flat frequency response in room was the only measure of bass quality why are there a plethora of bass guitars, standup bass, etc out there....?

this from a bass player of LiL reknown....

Someone should tell millercarbon to stop adding a link to every post he submits. One look at that room would send most running from the multiple sub approach.
To enhance bass you need to try to position the speakers closer to walls to amplify the lower bass, or add subwoofers. The answer is not adding multiple subs or adding bass absorption. The rational approach is to start with proper imaging using a method such as The Master Set. Imaging is key to proper sound from a stereo source. Once the imaging is perfect you can then add subwoofers for the lowest frequencies if you want more bass. It may help to use a computer and microphone to real time analyze the frequencies in your room. Then you will know how far down your speakers go. If you want 20 Hz or below you will need subwoofers. They are tricky but to get 20 Hz and below you have to move air. Lots of air. You will need 15” woofers. The idea of a “swarm” of subs is based on evening out the nodes. It’s an admirable goal but rarely practical. One well placed sub is good but not easy or perfect. Two well placed subs are better but beyond that you are spending a lot to get a little. Like horsepower. Look up Harman Kardon white paper on sub placement. Seminal work. Proper placement of stereo speakers doesn’t necessarily mean the proper placement for bass or subs. I recommend Hsu Research or SVS for affordable well made subs. That way You can afford two or three. Hsu sells pairs of identical subs. Best of luck and keep us posted. 
Hello cool,

Millercarbon is correct, a 4-sub distributed bass array (DBA) will provide excellent bass performance throughout your entire room and integrate seamlessly with your main B&W speakers.
     If you’re only concerned with attaining excellent bass performance at a single designated listening seat, however, using 2 good quality subs will will work about just as well as a 4-sub DBA.  You may even be able to attain very good bass performance at a single listening seat with a single higher quality, and more expensive, sub that comes with a mic and has room correction software.   You would first optimally position the single sub in your room using the crawl method (you can google it) and then utilize the room correction function to fine tune the results.
     2 subs, even if they’re smaller and less expensive, will generally perform about twice as a single sub, even if it’s larger and more expensive. The benefits of using 2 subs are increased bass power and dynamics when the music calls for it, neither sub is operating near its limits and the bass will be better integrated with your main speakers.     Whatever sub or subs you decide to use, it’s very important that each sub has separate controls for Volume, crossover frequency and continuously variable phase.  These controls are critically important for adjusting them optimally to your room and system.  It’s also beneficial for the subs to have the choice of inputs, rca line level and high level speaker wire.       You’ll also notice an improved soundstage and improved midrange and treble performance of your main speakers utilizing 2 subs.
     I suggest trying a pair of SVS SB-1000 subs or similar Hsu subs for about $1,000/pair.

Good luck,
    Tim
xcool OP

The combined impedance and -phase angle graph shows these 804’s are a hard load in the bass from 60hz to 150hz where all the power is needed
https://www.stereophile.com/images/913B804fig1.jpg
Yet the frequency response shows that they have a slight rise in that area, and should give big bass if driven well. https://www.stereophile.com/images/913B804fig4.jpg

The second page of the Stereophile review often complains about the lack of bass from the 804 D’s. And looking at what they drive them with, it was the same amp as you a 3 channel HT Parasound A31 that has trouble doulbing wattage from 8 to 4ohms, let alone down to 2ohms
https://www.stereophile.com/content/bowers-amp-wilkins-804-diamond-loudspeaker-page-2

I think your amp just like the reviewers, is not up to driving the bass with good current delivery, try something that can, and you then won’t need any subwoofers and the problems they bring to seamlessly blend in to the mains.

Cheers George