How bad is this?

Have enjoyed bullet proof, amazing performance from my First Sound Paramount SE preamp for years until a couple of weeks ago.  Heard a loud turn on thump when turning on amp (SA/1 monos) and then loud clicking/popping noise when turning left channel volume knob up or down.  Switched amp feeds and clicking/popping noise went to other speaker.  Finally, did a preamp feed to integrated with bypass (direct amp feed) and got the same clicking/popping noise.  Left channel of preamp still seems to play ok, but right channel is dead quiet when turning volume knob.  Would prefer to have this repaired locally (Atlanta area) if possible before boxing up and sending back to Emmanuel (think he is in California or New York).  Thanks for your time and help.

Mike    
dawkimi
Post removed 

Before you open up the FS pre, make sure to drain the capacitors in the power supplies by depressing the buttons for that specific purpose.

Mr. Go is now in Brooklyn and, if open, will gladly help you with this repair, personally I wouldn't send my FS pre to anyone else - likely he'll 'fix' anything else inside the unit once he has it open.  I've sent mine to him twice for upgrades and each time the cost was very much worth it. 

Sent unit back to manufacturer and turns out it was a faulty capacitor.  Will get some potential upgrades to go along with repair.  Appreciate the responses and very happy I sent back to manufacturer for peace of mind and to make sure everything will be good as new when completed.