The System Percentages Thread

Purpose of this thread is for folks to post where each sub-category of 2 ch music systems they’ve built falls as a percentage of total system msrp. There will be no absolute rights or wrongs, but if a critical mass of postings are achieved, it will give new system builders a reference point of various breakdowns that have worked for A’goners.

I’m probably different than most, in that after a 20 year dormancy (since an NAD/B&W system in 2000), I jumped into the deep end and put together four complete separate systems in the last 18 months. By contrast, most I assume evolve their system(s) over time, picking up a new piece here or there to replace an existing piece.

Both approaches are welcome here, although I thought maybe since I approached each system from scratch with different budget, and planned (sometimes meticulously, sometimes very haphazardly) out the subcategories that way, that it might make for an interesting thread. Plus I’m a numbers guy so this stuff is really interesting to me (and most of all I'm bored with the virus shutdown!!). When I got done and calculated the actual percentages for each, I was surprised by the variance.

I’m sure there’ll be some back and forth about what the best ratio is, and likely that it’ll vary depending on budget, but let’s keep it civil. We all know there are no absolutes in audio, and what works great for one won’t work for another, and vice versa.

For budget I list msrp, even though much of my stuff was acquired used or demo, or at much reduced sale prices. But msrp provides a fixed reference, if nothing else. Feel free to omit budget if you prefer, but I think it adds context regarding differences in %’s across systems.

Feel free to add additional categories than those I have (my systems are simpler than many here I’m sure). Demerits if your percentages fail to add to 100%, haha. Okay to add more details like make/model, but mainly interested in system percentage breakdown. Get those calculators fired up!!

Anyway, here are my four entries:

Reference System ($20-25k msrp):
Speakers: 46% (L,R, and sub)
Amp: 27% (integrated)
Source: 9% (streamer/dac)
Power Conditioner: 5%
Cables: 13%

Secondary System ($10-15k msrp):
Speakers: 42% (L, R, and sub)
Amp: 32% (power amp)
Source: 15% (streamer/dac)
Power Conditioner: 3%
Cables: 8%

Office System ($1-5k msrp):
Speakers: 65% (L, R, and sub)
Amp and Source: 25% (super integrated, all-in-one with streamer)
Power Conditioner: 4%
Cables: 6%

Portable System ($0-1k msrp):
Speakers: 15% (L, R)
Amp and Source: 80% (super integrated, all-in-one with streamer)
Power Conditioner: 1% (surge suppressor)
Cables: 4%

kren0006
Tomaswv, looks like our percentage breakdowns are pretty similar, although I overweight speakers a bit more than you and you overweight amps a bit more than me (perhaps because I’m not yet at a “separates “ level, still integrated).  Good stuff!
 This is embarrassing but I was referring to the post of three_easy_payments. Should have specified. My bad!
ebm's cut and paste response - love it, I chuckle every time!  but why did it take so long?
Generally speaking, over the years, even when I had Rogers LS35a and Quad ‘57 and Fulton floor-standers and Super Duper all tube electronics, much less today with a Sony Walkman portable battery-powered CD headphone system, I’d opine my system represented 30% of the total cost and tweaks the remaining 70%. Today, the percentages are almost certainly 5% system and 95% tweaks. Is that wrong?