Jelco TK-850L Installation and Initial Impressions

(Before I start this thread, I want to acknowledge the earlier comments and private support from forum member noromance in the decision to acquire this arm.)  

A little over a year ago, I decided to “upgrade” a DIY table I built years ago that used a platter, spindle and bearing left over from an early VPI TNT upgrade, and a Jelco SA-750D arm, an adequate, but not special performer.

Forum participant “noromance” reported good success with his Jelco TK-850L. After reading his comments / review, I searched the web for information on that arm and bought a TK-850L from George Merrill. Also picked up an Easy VTA arm base.  I completed the table last week. Measured and drilled the arm board, mounted the arm base and arm on the arm board and installed a backup AT OC9/II. Aligned the arm parallel with the platter.  Leveled the system. Aligned the cart to Lofgren A. Set the VTF…. All the little things to set up a table. I'm not completely happy with the counterweight, but it doesn't get set that often. The Easy VTA base did bind up a little though was eventually workable.  

(Standard hedge:) In my opinion....

After an hour or so, maybe a little longer, everything came to life (the cart hasn't been used in over a year). The image snapped in, soundstage opened up, instrumental timbre neutralized. Loose bass that I thought was a combination of bad room and speakers became tight, controlled and tuneful. Deep bass was there. I had some early concerns about the midrange and highs, but they have been resolved as the cartridge and new cables got more play time. Highs are sweet and accurate, mids are well-defined with subtle textures clearly present and in correct proportion. The arm has excellent detail resolution even in the more subtle soundstage ques and instrument nuances. Small and large dynamics are very good with tight timing.  No detectable ringing or resonances to deal with. It’s only been around 15 hours, but I can’t find any warts. Yet.

The arms seems to execute great control over the cartridge without imprinting any sonic signature or resonance of its own. Just what the cartridge reads from the groove.  

Playing the Mercury Living Presence Antal Dorati "Firebird" reissue, the image and soundstage were excellent. A very broad and deep soundstage with instruments placed in their correct position. Each instrument was isolated in its own space and not mashed with other instruments. Massed strings were smooth and sweet. The dynamic spectrum was complete from the clarinet and flute valves closing, pizzicatto strings, xylophone, to the bass drum and tympany strikes. sharp snap. No smearing or congestion. Typical of the OC9/II timing was crisp and not smeared by arm ringing or overdamping.  No overhang.  I heard no tracking problems. Tonal balance was consistent with my AT OC9/II experience.  

I will have more information on the arm as time goes on. I want to make sure I am satisfied with the turntable set-up before I move on to better cartridges. I have a couple of Lyra carts – a Clavis Da Capo (rebuilt by Soundsmith with a Boron cantilever and line contact stylus) and a Lyra Skala – that will be the final upgrade to the table. I will provide incremental updates to my comments as these carts are installed.  At least if there are differences in performances that are not attributable to the cartridges.  

In any case, the Jelco TK-850L is a very serious arm and worth consideration for any new table or table being upgraded with the caveat that the -850L 12” arm can only be used on a table on which an arm of that length can be installed.  

I'm satisfied.

Additional equipment: Herron VTPH-2A, Herron VTSP-3A(r03), Herron M1 amps, DIY speakers.    

bpoletti
Thanks for that review.   The new Jelco arms continue to be on my watch list for a next arm.   Looking forward to hear how it plays the other carts in your stable.
@bpoletti  Thanks for the ack. Great read. For other readers, I have Decca cartridges on my 2 Jelco 850Ls and 750L. No issues at all and I track light at 1.65. If the arms can do that, they've got to be very good. Don't be tempted to get the cheaper Jelco cable. Get the pink one. It's a lot better.
@noromance ....

Only credit where credit is due. :-)

I bought the hot pink Jelco JAC-501 cables since my other table has a phono connector box and I was just using standard RCA-terminated cables. The Jelco’s seem to be pretty good, but still in breakin. I also have some other well-used Herron cable that’s waiting for a DIN connector to arrive. Though the Jelco cable does seem to be pretty good, using the Herron cable would remove a variable from the evaluation.

That said, the evaluation has become an enjoyable journey through my record collection.
Thank you for sharing @bpoletti. I'm using a Jelco 850L MKII with the same JAC-501 cable. Jelco updated the cosmetic of the 850L and added Rhodium plated contacts to commemorate their 100th year, everything else remains the same. So far, I agree with everything written, it's an excellent performer and no quirks or complaints to mention. Anthony
@scar972 ....   Isn't there a small change to the arm base to allow easier and more reliable VTA adjustment in the MK II models?  Some kind of large diameter nut around the base?